painting question

Whats the secret for a smooth coat of primer. I am using an oil based primer, thinned with paint thinner and spraying with a HVLP and I cannot seem to get a smooth coat down for the life of me.

I am finishing some builtins for my wife that she wants done in gloss white.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

sanding after it dries

Reply to
mel

To further that, use BIN or some other white pigmented shellac as the primer. I suggest this because it dries very quickly to a very sandable state.

Reply to
Stephen M

practice and experimentation but mostly practice

Reply to
Mike G

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:28:19 GMT, Joe Willmann brought forth from the murky depths:

I assume you're not talking about runs in the paint.

Have you wet-sanded to raise the grain and remove the whiskers? Or have you sanded after the first primer coat dried, effectively doing the same thing? Spray, let dry for 24 hours, and lightly sand with 320 grit to denib the raised grain in the first coat.

That needs to be perfectly flat and blemish-free, alright. I'm starting the same process here with old cabinets but I'm using satin paint. I hate anything glaring at me so I avoid gloss paint.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques