Painting an old Power tool (hey JOAT)

Hey gang, Ive been lurking for years. Long enough to know JOAT paints all his tools yellow. I have an old (1986) jointer / planer that I picked up on CraigsList yesterday and I am thinking of painting it. It'll be white to match my Jet stuff. Ive never painted on painted steel before, anyone have any tips? I dont have to strip the old paint off do i?

What type of paint? What prep work should I do?

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Andy H

I think if you just give it a bit of a roughening, and sand any rust you find off of it and prime the bare spots, it'll look just fine. Enamel's nice. Tom

Reply to
tom

Ignore the paint!! spend the time tuning up the machine and doing more woodworking. The wood won't know what color it is but it will know if the knives are sharp and properly aligned.

Reply to
brandom11

"Andy H" wrote

Prep it with phosphoric acid to convert any rust spots followed by a couple of coats of Hammertone aerosol.

Your local hardware should have the stuff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mon, Aug 20, 2007, 12:23pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Andy=A0H) doth sayeth: Hey gang, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Ive been lurking for years. Long enough to know JOAT paints all his tools yellow. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0What type of paint? What prep work should I do?

A happy tool is a yellow tool.

I have better things to do than to sit around and put on a prize winning paint job on my tools. Latex should work find, with a proper primer, otherwide it doesn't stick well at all. But that takes time. The new spray latex in a can may work well, seemed to on some od .50 ammo cans I got awhile back and hit with it, but then you need to tape the parts you don't want painted. I put the ammo cans on top of my garbage cans and gave 'em a fast coat, just to cover the rusty spots. Worked fine..

I just wipe the tools off, use a decent brand of oil based ename, a decent brush, and give 'em a couple of coats. Aside, I got a coupe of bottles of glue the other day, and the guy asked if I mean two. I said yes, and he said with some people a couple means three. Never heard that one before. Anyway, two coats does it for me. One coat leaves a lot of thin spots, two coats looks good, three coats is time wasted, at least as far as tool painting goes.

I don't know how any color than yellow will apply. Next time I get some tool paint, I'm going to try Rustoleum. If hey have it in yellow.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

"J T" wrote

I don't know how any color than yellow will apply. Next time I get some tool paint, I'm going to try Rustoleum. If hey have it in yellow.

Rustoleum takes forever to dry. Usually two days per coat. I did a number of projects where Rustoleum was required. Using freshly welded mild steel it took me 8 days per project to paint. two days per side for the primer and two days per side for the top coat.

An engineer friend turned me on to this stuff. They don't even call it paint. The call it high solids industrial coating. It has a lot more of the actual paint solids per can than consumer paints.

is expensive, but does a great job.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3336.bay.webtv.net:

*snip*

*snip*

I'd heard that before. "couple of coats of paint" really means two, but if it needs three give it three.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 3:09am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: I'd heard that before. "couple of coats of paint" really means two, but if it needs three give it three.

If my tools need three coats, they only think they do, they get two.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Rustoleum, Martin-Senor, PPG, etc... also make an excellent high-solids industrial coating spray paint, but they aren't usually isn't sold in consumer stores. Grainger and Napa "heavy duty" locations usually carry something of the sort. The Napa stores that don't carry truck, farm, or construction equipment parts can usually get it on a day's notice.

Reply to
B A R R Y

mean two. I said yes, and he said with some people a couple means three. Never heard

Could be one of the reasons that so many marriages go all to hell.. rofl

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis