Painting an old Power tool (hey JOAT)

Hey gang,     Ive been lurking for years. Long enough to know JOAT paints all his tools yellow.     I have an old (1986) jointer / planer that I picked up on CraigsList yesterday and I am thinking of painting it. It'll be white to match my Jet stuff. Ive never painted on painted steel before, anyone have any tips? I dont have to strip the old paint off do i?
    What type of paint? What prep work should I do?
Thanks Andy
--
:: Clever Sig here ::

I think if you just give it a bit of a roughening, and sand any rust you find off of it and prime the bare spots, it'll look just fine. Enamel's nice. Tom

Ignore the paint!! spend the time tuning up the machine and doing more woodworking. The wood won't know what color it is but it will know if the knives are sharp and properly aligned.
"Andy H" wrote

Prep it with phosphoric acid to convert any rust spots followed by a couple of coats of Hammertone aerosol.
Your local hardware should have the stuff.
Lew
Mon, Aug 20, 2007, 12:23pm snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (AndyH) doth sayeth: Hey gang, Ive been lurking for years. Long enough to know JOAT paints all his tools yellow. <snip> What type of paint? What prep work should I do?
A happy tool is a yellow tool. http://www.holistic-online.com/Color/color_yellow.htm
I have better things to do than to sit around and put on a prize winning paint job on my tools. Latex should work find, with a proper primer, otherwide it doesn't stick well at all. But that takes time. The new spray latex in a can may work well, seemed to on some od .50 ammo cans I got awhile back and hit with it, but then you need to tape the parts you don't want painted. I put the ammo cans on top of my garbage cans and gave 'em a fast coat, just to cover the rusty spots. Worked fine..
I just wipe the tools off, use a decent brand of oil based ename, a decent brush, and give 'em a couple of coats. Aside, I got a coupe of bottles of glue the other day, and the guy asked if I mean two. I said yes, and he said with some people a couple means three. Never heard that one before. Anyway, two coats does it for me. One coat leaves a lot of thin spots, two coats looks good, three coats is time wasted, at least as far as tool painting goes.
I don't know how any color than yellow will apply. Next time I get some tool paint, I'm going to try Rustoleum. If hey have it in yellow.
I don't know how any color than yellow will apply. Next time I get some tool paint, I'm going to try Rustoleum. If hey have it in yellow.
Rustoleum takes forever to dry. Usually two days per coat. I did a number of projects where Rustoleum was required. Using freshly welded mild steel it took me 8 days per project to paint. two days per side for the primer and two days per side for the top coat.
An engineer friend turned me on to this stuff. They don't even call it paint. The call it high solids industrial coating. It has a lot more of the actual paint solids per can than consumer paints.
http://www.seymourpaint.com/index.cfm/products/?id
It is expensive, but does a great job.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Rustoleum, Martin-Senor, PPG, etc... also make an excellent high-solids industrial coating spray paint, but they aren't usually isn't sold in consumer stores. Grainger and Napa "heavy duty" locations usually carry something of the sort. The Napa stores that don't carry truck, farm, or construction equipment parts can usually get it on a day's notice.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in
*snip*

*snip*
I'd heard that before. "couple of coats of paint" really means two, but if it needs three give it three.
Puckdropper

Tue, Aug 21, 2007, 3:09am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: I'd heard that before. "couple of coats of paint" really means two, but if it needs three give it three.
If my tools need three coats, they only think they do, they get two.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:29:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:
<snip>

mean two. I said yes, and he said with some people a couple means three. Never heard

Could be one of the reasons that so many marriages go all to hell.. rofl
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing