Painting a pine floor

OK. So the brain trust in this newsgroup convinced me the last thing i want to do is refinish a kitchen pine floor at a beach house with a belt sander.
So I'm going to plan B: Replace the boards and paint the whole floor (since house has a cottage feel, this could work).
Any advise: Do I still have to sand floor (if so, what am i gaining) What kind of paint Any other advice, tricks, tips?
Thanks for all your help. You stopped me from making a big mistake. And I do appreciate it.
DJ
The Grom King wrote:

belt
Yes. You should "rough up" the existing finish a little so that the new paint will stick well. Mebbe run over it with some 120-grit real quick-like.

My personal favorite is Sherwin Williams for just about every application. Stop off at your local Sherwin Williams and tell them exactly what you're doing and they should be able to help out. Barring that, try Lowes or Home Depot. It's fairly easy to tell whether or not the person there knows what they're talking about.

Well, there was a thread about painting bathroom walls recently, and reading the directions on the can doesn't hurt.

And
Good luck. And remember, it's just painting a floor. You don't need to be a Picasso, or even a Nahm to do it. The idea can be pretty intimidating, but the doing is usually not that bad.
-Phil Crow