Paint Stripping Question

My research continues, in my search for something that will strip paint, won't eat my brain, and doesn't require disposal in a toxic waste dump.

I've been looking for washing soda (socium carbonate), to try, but haven't found anything labeled that. Arm & Hammer soap granules contains it, and if that won't work, I can always use it to wash clothes. But I've got 3 jugs of liquid clothes soap, so passed for now.

This evening, in the grocery store, I saw drain cleaners, and remembered lye is sold to clear drains, and can strip paint. I also remembered reading about gel paint strippers (with lye) - can brush on, the gel keeps it moist - caustic, of course, but it won't dissolve your brain. I only found one type, in the stores I checked, priced $30+ a gallon, the only size they had. Way pricey for me.

I don't care to mess with lye crystals, so checked gel cleaners. Draino Max Gel, seemed promising, it has sodium hydroxide (lye), and sodium hypochlorite (a bleaching agent). Didn't buy, as I knew I had something at home. Liquid-Plumr Gel, and basically the same ingredients.

I haven't tried it yet, because I can't think of anything painted I'm willing to experiment on. When I do, I'll check it out.

So, my questions are; Has anyone here tried any of these gels for paint stripping? And, if so, how did well did it work?

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Fret

Reply to
J T

No affiliation, just have used it before with fantastic results. Better than the chemicals (which I have also used.).

Reply to
larrygfox

Sun, Oct 2, 2005, 5:22am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth sayeth:

No affiliation, just have used it before with fantastic results. Better than the chemicals (which I have also used.).

No thanks, not what I'm interested in.

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

JOAT,

Arm & Hammer markets their sodium carbonate under the name "Super Washing Soda" in a yellow box about the size of a small box of Grape Nuts. Never tried it as a paint stripper. I use a tablespoon in a gallon or so of water for electrolysis of rusty planes I occasionally drag home from the flea market.

Fels Naphtha used to sell a laundry bar that was essentially nothing but caustic soda (lye, sodium hydroxide). I don't know if it is still available or not.

I talked with an antique dealer in Newport, Tennessee last summer who is a good friend to my Mom. One of the many topics was what he recommended for homeowners doing refinishing, and what did he use in his business. His answer was something like "Use what I use. Whatever's cheapest at Wal-mart." We've been following that advice since then.

Chemical strippers work. Just do it outside. Wipe the old paint off on newspaper and let it dry before putting it in the trash.

Here is a great site with a wealth of info. Many, many articles. Somewhere here, you, the Master of Internet Seachdom, must find something that will help.

luck, hope this helps, and pays back a little for all the great links you've posted for the group.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Mon, Oct 3, 2005, 12:25am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Roy) posteth: Good luck, hope this helps, and pays back a little for all the great links you've posted for the group.

Aw gee, you liked the pinecone turkey. LOL Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

My latest project will be finished using tea stain, a small portion with a black latex wash, and a bit of lettering, in the best of good taste of course, using yellow latex. Then the whole thing will be topped off with Johnson's Paste Wax. Nothing like going first class, I always say. I've still got my original tin of Johnson's, not even half used yet, plus a brand-new tin I got for $1 at a yard sale. Hehehe

JOAT The Truth Shall Set Ye Frea

Reply to
J T

Actually, I'm most impressed with your taste in Pukey Ducks. You outdid yourself with the post on the Toilet Bowl Pukey Duck. It don't get no better than that. Even an old hilljack like me had to be impressed. Turkeys, even pine cone ones, are a dime a dozen, but it ain't every day you see a TBPD.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Tue, Oct 4, 2005, 2:01am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com (Roy) did posteth: Actually, I'm most impressed with your taste in Pukey Ducks. You outdid yourself with the post on the Toilet Bowl Pukey Duck. It don't get no better than that. Even an old hilljack like me had to be impressed. Turkeys, even pine cone ones, are a dime a dozen, but it ain't every day you see a TBPD.

Ah, always a pleasure meeting someone with impeccable good taste, such as yourself.

As long as you understand that I run across stuff like that while making searches for other things. I think it'd be impossible to find quality stuff like that on purpose. I'm in the process of making a batch of varied searches, so may well run across something good. I'll post it if I do.