Paint over BLO?

A friend of mine has spent a very long time making a couple of Adirondack style chairs out of home grown elm. The chairs are beautiful as is, however, I think a coat or two of BLO (or something else ?) might pop the grain even more. As these might be caught in the rain someday I thought a top coat of outdoor Poly would be in order. Someone else suggested a coat of clear Sikkens. Ideas? There is a chance that the SWMBO will insist on painting the chairs later. Will BLO interfere with the application of paint? Thanks to all, JG

ps- please remove the "stamp" for email

Reply to
JGS