Paint day

I designated tomorrow as my day to paint the shop (using Zinnser 123 (interior) White).
As I was doing my final prep tonight, cleaning and covering, I realized I wanted to paint the inside of the door leading outside too
Aside from its 3x3 panel window (really a single pane of glass, 1/4" I think), it's a pretty plain door, previously painted.
I am thinking of getting a 1" nylon trim brush for the panels, but I assume that the rest of the door should be painted with my 3" brush like it was a faceframe of a cabinet.
I am also planning to put the Zinnser on my door moldings (previously painted).
Does all of this sound appropriate? The door above has a screen door, but I assume it would be more appropriate to use an "exterior" paint for it. Still correct?
Thank you, Bill
It all sounds reasonable. Use whichever brushes are comfortable for you for the task at hand.
I would consider popping the hinge pins, removing the door and paint the bottom edge of the door, also. You want to make sure that bottom edge is sealed against moisture. Some folks like to paint behind the hinge plates, also.
Sonny
On 7/6/2013 10:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill I have painted a lot of houses and I am the guy that does all the trim and detail work.
Use as big of a brush that will fit. I used to use small brushes and very quickly learned that they don't hold enough paint to do squat.
If you simply use the 3~4" brush in a side ways motion you end up with a 3/4~1" wide brush that is 3~4" thick.
On 7/7/2013 9:57 AM, Leon wrote: ...

But the keys imo for trim are twofold --
a) It _has_ to be a high-quality brush, and b) It needs to be angle-cut, not straight.
On 7/7/2013 10:02 AM, dpb wrote:

Yes a good brush is essential.
It can be a straight brush, angle cut is better but certainly not necessary.
Straight cut will need to be cleaned a little more often if you are doing a lot of cutting into corners.
On 7/7/2013 10:11 AM, Leon wrote:

It'll cut the time req'd down immeasurably, though. (Then again, all the trim that's painted that I paint is nothing but either windows or panel doors w/ a two-color pattern so there's very little that isn't cutting in.)
If not doing windows (and/or you're one who just paints the glass then cleans :) ) or if just single color on doors and frames it makes it much less of an issue.
dpb wrote:

after the person who painted it last!
Thanks guys! I'm going to open the first can now. It's only been 30 years since I opened my last one. They don't appear to have changed much, except the price! : ) Also, more "spraying paraphernalia" in the stores.
Bill

Bill wrote:

With a few minor exceptions, I've painted everything with 2 coats of Zinsser 123 paint and am extremely satisfied with its coverage.
I haven't painted the back door yet, and for the last 10 minutes have been considering painting it a pale green (Color_F10 in SketchUp).
I assume a "semi-gloss" sheen paint would look appropriate against the Zinsser white. Is there an easy way to tint the Zinsser 123 I have on hand or should I just go buy a quart of the color I want off the shelf (provided I can find it)?
I assume one coat of Zinsser (primer), so that would amount to 3 more coats on the (inside of the ) door.
Please correct me wherever necessary! : )
Thank you, Bill
Bill wrote:

Why do you want to tint a primer?
The finish coat(s) are going to cover the primer anyway.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

finish coat, and I can't complain about the result. 2 coats covered every one of my many pencil marks (1 coat didn't).
As for the door, at this point I'm seeking "pale green". I've been browsing online and I'm not sure which particular paint to use yet. I never bought "custom" paint before and I doubt anyone will be excited to sell me a quart.
Thanks, Bill

quarts for about 1/3 the price of a gallon. Art
Artemus wrote:

of my local zone. The other one we had closed 4 years ago--perhaps competition from Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes was too much. The small True Value is still (somehow) hanging in there.
Bill
On 7/29/2013 1:19 AM, Bill wrote:

You've led a cloistered life..
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

couldn't get someone to do it. : )
Yes, I've went from state-to-state and from one 1-bedroom apartment to another until I joined this newsgroup and got married. But before today, in all that time, I never ran into the word "cloistered".
Being somewhat of a R.S. fan, part of me wants to "paint it black". If only it were red.
Bill
Tinting an undercoat helps protect the surface color.
Ever painted a color over pure white ? - or Black ? it shows through.
They have dark sealers for dark paints.
Martin