Outside Dado Blades - Beware

I learned the hard way today that there's a right and a left outside blade for my Freud SD208 stacked dado set.

After happily cutting nice box joints for quite a while I pulled out my trusty dado blade today to make four desk drawers. I cut the first set carefully and dry fit - a bit looser then usual, must be the MDO plywood I'm using for the first time. Anyways, forged ahead and whipped out the rest of the drawers and dry fit - well, these went to the scrap pile.

Must be something wrong with my home-made box joint jig - nope. Maybe something got jammed into the dado stack - nope. Then noticed I didn't have the outside blades with the 'painted' sides on the outside as usual - yep, that was it. The cut is slightly wider with the blades reversed.

I don't know if all stacked dadoes are like this but mine sure is. Hope this note keeps someone from wasting some drawers like I did. Hope my next project has some smaller drawers so I can use that scrap.

Steve

P.S. The 1/2" MDO plywood I got at Menard's is pretty nice stuff - five plys, real stright, no voids that I've run into yet, and not too pricey either. Poor man's baltic birch, I suppose.

Reply to
Steve

Good advice. So far as I know, all stacked dado sets have specified outside faces.

Don't feel too bad though, I have put a chipper in backward before. Leaves a nice black streak in the groove.

snipped

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Thanks for the advice. The Delta 8" had no instructions whatsoever and I guess I never gave it any thought that there was any significance to the fact that one blade had writing on it and the other didn't. I have always put the latter on the arbor first since that is the order they come out of the box I built to store it in. Is that correct or should I reverse the two?

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

My Freud set, which I can't remember the model #, has "This Side Out" and rotational arrows printed on both blades.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

All stacked dado sets I'm familiar with have beveled tooth cuts on the outside blades. Mount the blades so the high point of the bevel is on the outside.

Reply to
jev