Ouch! Shazbat!

Bought a new Whiteside 1/2" diameter, 2.5" long straight router bit today at Woodcraft. They come with that plastic goop on the cutters. So, I'm working the plastic goop off and it suddenly loosens up and slides up and off, with my finger firmly planted on the cutter edge. Youch! Shazbat! I sliced the tip of my index finger pretty good. Pinched that sucker tight and headed for the sink. Cleaned it up and stuck two bandages on it. Boy, I won't do that again!
Oh yeah, SWMBO wasn't home. When she came home, she saw the bloody mess in the sink (the part I didn't clean up), came running downstairs expecting to find me without a limb, maybe dead. He parting words were "You're going to have to stop using these power tools when I'm not home. I worry that something's going to happen, and it did". Sheesh. It was just a "bad paper cut".
I'll just build something nice for her and she'll ease off.
Bob
Bob, I done that myself..."hurts dozens it!!" and I will never do it again....every time I open up a new bit the reminder comes back...lesson learned the hard way! good luck, Mike

She's right about that 'dangerous while alone' thing. If you're going to work alone, with no one else there, you should figure out some way to call the EMT when something really hits the fan. A Google search will turn up some of the more creative ones from late last year.
BTW, that 2.5" router bit deserves some respect once you chuck into the router, too.
Patriarch, who _HATES_ blood & gore accident stories...
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:22:24 -0500, "bob"

Of course what she means by "something" is you bleeding in the sink and not cleaning it up afterwards.
I once dumped an armful of blood on the kitchen floor, whilst trying to make it to the sink to begin cleanup and get the splinters out of the hole. My wife made me lift my feet up so she could put down newspaper....

I worry that

Women, even professional ones, can be funny about cleanliness.
A number of years back my partner and I entered the emergency department with a backboarded bleeding woman, only to be told to "take her back outside the doors until we get a trauma bed ready. They just mopped in here."
Andy Dingley wrote:

I'd have seriously considered upgrading at that point and hang the expense.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Andy Dingley wrote:

Oh, yes. Wives can be so sympathetic when you are getting something they consider their domain dirty! "go back and wipe your feet and leave that dirty arm on the porch before you come back in!"
Hi Bob,
I've done that too, but the "most stupidest" thing I ever did in this regard involved a brand new 5 inch panel raiser that I bought for my new (at the time) 1.5 HP Grizzly shaper.
I never handled a 3 wing piece of steel like that before. It had the goop on all wings. I wanted to see how it looked, sounded etc on the shaper - no sense in scraping that goop off I thought. Since the shaper was new, I called SWMBO down to the basement to hear it purr.
Sure enough, soon as I hit the switch I had 3 plastic projectiles flying all over the shop. Fortunately, none hit anyone.. Seemed like bullets at the time!
Red faced, I cursed the damn bit...SWMBO just smiled and walked away.
Made a lot of paneled doors that year.
Lou

bob wrote:

I feel your pain, brother!