OT: Who said "One good lie..."

"One good lie can save hours of explanation."
I heard this saying years ago, and have oft followed the advice! But, from time to time, I've looked for the author and not been able to find an accurate match.
You're an erudite lot - can you help?
Add pictures here
✖
I don't know, I would have to make up a lie. Perry bentcajungirl

from
Add pictures here
✖

http://tinyurl.com/hog6 brought up nothing for your full quote, "one good lie", and "a good lie". Fulltext search URL below. <http://www.quotationspage.com/search.php3?Search=a+good+lie&Author=&C=mgm&C=motivate&C=classic&C=coles&C=lindsly&C=poorc&C=net&C Þvils&C=contrib&x&y=4>
---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design ==========================================================
Add pictures here
✖

What Roseanne said was close... "We women don't intentionally lie to men, it just takes too long to explain the truth."
Add pictures here
✖
Mon, Jul 21, 2003, 4:00pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (tnfkajs) claims: "One good lie can save hours of explanation." <snip>
Just remember, the truth shall set you free. Or something like that.
Man's wife asks him to go to the store to buy some cigarettes. So he walks down to the store only to find it closed. So he goes into a nearby bar to use the vending machine. At the bar he sees a beautiful woman and starts talking to her. They have a couple of beers and one thing leads to another and they end up in her apartment. After they've had their fun, he realizes its 3AM and says, "Oh no, its so late, my wife's going to kill me. Have you got any talcum powder?" She gives him some talcum powder, which he proceeds to rub on his hands and then he goes home. His wife is waiting for him in the doorway and she is pretty pissed. "Where the hell have you been?!?!" "Well, honey, its like this. I went to the store like you asked, but they were closed. So I went to the bar to use the vending machine. I saw this great looking chick there and we had a few drinks and one thing led to another and I ended up in bed with her." "Oh yeah? Let me see your hands!" She sees his hands are covered with powder and... "You damn liar!!! You went bowling again!!!"
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
Add pictures here
✖
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

LOL! This would never work for me though. I haven't been bowling for 20 years.
Feh. It's OK. Attractive women have better things to do than sleep with me anyway. ;)
✖

from
It might have been GW himself. Apparently he's being lying a lot lately.
Add pictures here
✖

Sounds like it might be Mark Twain.
✖

✖
tnfkajs wrote:

How about "A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation." Saki [Hector Hugh Munro], The Square Egg.
--
"To delight in war is a merit in the soldier,
a dangerous quality in the captain, and a

That's it!!! Thank you!!!
Add pictures here
✖

from
Where did you find that version, Pete? My print copy of "Clovis" is somewhat different. See below. -- Ernie
Add pictures here
✖
Ernie Jurick wrote:

I got it from Bartlett's. Eighth edition, I think.
--
"To delight in war is a merit in the soldier,
a dangerous quality in the captain, and a
✖

But,
an
somewhat
I should have read the introductory notes on my Penguin edition first. Apparently Munro was not an organized fellow. After he was killed in WWI, his friends collected his stuff. There are as many variations in his writings as there are with our own Mark Twain. -- Ernie
Add pictures here
✖
Ernie Jurick wrote:

<g>
--
"To delight in war is a merit in the soldier,
a dangerous quality in the captain, and a
✖
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:00:32 -0600, "tnfkajs"

i'v always heard it as follows
"it's easier to lie and ask for forgiveness, than to be honest and ask for permission"
Traves
Add pictures here
✖
Traves,
I heard it as "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission."
Must've been the Reader's Digest Condensed version.
Okay - I'm lying! LOL!
The actual author was Eric Stolz - a German author who was quoted in American literature by Carl Sandberg and the other literary geniuses of our time. His works can be found in most libraries across the country. Mr. Stolz was also a noted painter and of all things - a woodworker! If you do a google search for Eric Stolz wood crafting, you will see some amazing log style furniture that he built with an adz, chisels, and some very unique block planes. Very impressive.
Scroll down . . . .
Okay - I'm lying again! Can I have your forgiveness now? LOL!
Jums
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote in message:

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:21:14 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara"
snip

Snip
ok,,,but just this once...
well, now you got me doing it... i'm lying, and i would forgive you twice
lol
Traves
Add pictures here
✖

from
The exact quote is "An ounce of mistruth can save tons of explanation." The author is H. H. Munro(1870-1916), a Scots humorist who wrote under the pen name of Saki. The quote is in "The Square Egg: Clovis on the Alleged Romance of Business" published in a posthumous collection of his works in 1924. -- Ernie
Add pictures here
✖
The pronoun "I" is correct. It's a shame that US schools don't teach English anymore.
Phil
PC Gameplayer wrote:

Add pictures here
✖