OT - Two things ...

... are suddenly noticeable in their ubiquity:

Quarterbacks lifting one leg right before the snap, and the use of the word "passed" for "died".

Monkeys see, monkeys do?

Reply to
Swingman

woodworking Date: Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 7:38am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth:

Reply to
J T

Yeah, he is trying to claim/be a part of some of that "Glory Dance" displayed when a touch down is scored.

and the use of the word

Confusing ain't it. Makes as much sense as "My Bad".

Reply to
Leon

Do you sing along with that show? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Why does this bring to mind a scene with some folks sitting on the floor in a circle and one of them staring, fascinated, at his hand. "Wow, man, have you ever looked, I mean really *looked* at your hand?" :-)

Sorry. We now return you to your regular rec.ww content

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Must be a 60's thing.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Age old occurrence.

On another note, since it's a rainy, slow day for you, I have a problem I'd like your input on.

Idiots built an entire subdivision and stuck ventilators in all the bathrooms for show - but failed to vent them anywhere. After years of use, the owners call with complaints of the sheetrock seams/tape peeling off. Although it is obvious as to why, I'm not sure what the best solution is. I've already found dead wall space and installed metal pipes from the lower floors, and am now hooking up flexible pipe to the upper floor bathrooms. The problem is the external vents. I don't want to chop 4 holes in the roof, and getting at the eaves for 4 eave vents is problematic/impossible. (Too small w/ 6/12 pitch W-Rafters on the inside, and 45 feet in the air on the outside.)

I'm considering running all of them together to one large roof vent, but I'm concerned about blowback back into other bathrooms (yeah, they do have some cheap-ass flapper), and the distance (condensation dripping back) on some. As well, no one sells a 4 into 1 collector for this purpose. Got any good ideas?

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Ahem... not a sports buff myself, but I do enjoy a good baseball game immensely.

But... the leg pump in the shotgun formation was created due of the fact that the guys on the field literally cannot hear the snap count. In the shotgun where they are a few feet away, I think most quarterbacks have complained that when playing on another's home turf they cannot hear anything. So think about the center, literally pointed the other way trying to pick up the count...

So it becomes a timing issue, with the QB yelling as loudly as he can to draw off sides the other team if possible. The snap from the center then becomes based on visual cues; a leg pump, then a two count then "hike", or a leg pump and a one count, or an immediate transfer in some cases. This awkward looking moment was actually born out of necessity.

Living in San Antonio, we have the Spurs, and our +/- 25,000 capacity arena in which they play. The ATT Center is ften voted as the loudest NBA venue by NBA teams and fans. During playoffs (or any Dallas game) it is so loud in the arena that you literally cannot hear the person sitting beside you when the crowds get going. Literally. And your ears ring for hours when you leave.

Imagine a bigger venue, but more radical fans, and at least three times as many of them in a dome or small stadium...

I guess it's pretty obvious that it's raining here, too...

Robert (wishing I was in the middle of a large garage repair now instead of at home drinking coffee putting off f'ing paperwork)

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

There you go, bro ... learn something everyday. That just shows to go you how much of a sports fan I am!

(Judging from high schoolers doing it too, I still think there's a 'monkey see, monkey do' component going on here, however). :)

LOL! I started at 5 AM (raining too hard to walk this morning) keyboarding the last half of 2007's business receipts into QuickBooks, with frequent posting breaks, obviously.

I've been putting that chore off for six months, obviously also. :)

It's now done! ... and soon I get to see how much I owe the IRS, right after paying the property taxes on 1/31/08, that is.

I work for Uncle Sam, all the various taxing authorities in Harris County, and Henderson State University ... and it looks like there is more of the same to come in November.

I need some sunshine ... and a source of more energy.

Reply to
Swingman

"Greg G." wrote

Those on the first floor we vent, individually, out the side of the house; those on the second floor we vent out the cornice if we can (some local codes don't allow this).

IME, much better to vent sideways with the individual fart fans instead of "up".

There are a number of "systems" out there like the following:

want to check'em out.

Reply to
Swingman

Isn't there usually a water pipe involved in that scenario? :-D

jc

Reply to
Joe

Wed, Jan 16, 2008, 2:51pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: Do you sing along with that show? ;~)

Do, I don't. You saying you do?

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Might make a good intercom system as well. I once bought a house with a vent hood over the stove. I could see the vent in the roof. But in the attic there was nothing going to the roof vent. They had piped the vent hood into the boxing over the cabinets and forgot it. The house was about 15 years old. When I cut a hole and connected the pipe to the roof vent the vent hood worked much better.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Yeah, that's why I looked for a swept collector. Just like your automotive exhaust pipe headers...

Funny how that vent thing works out. eh? They generally work better when hooked up. Unfortunately, they didn't install outside vents, and retrofitting cornice or wall vents would require ripping out the interior ceilings for access. The ceilings have some weird-ass texture that was manually applied with a 6-lobed sponge tool that no one sells anymore, and blending in repairs is difficult - been there, done that. Even then, there isn't room for a cornice vent, and the ceiling joists are only

2x4s and feed directly into the soffit. The only options are eave vents or roof vents - and the only thing the BORGs sell are dryer-like 4" wall vents. They ran all the real builder supply stores out of business, and you can't get anything around here anymore unless it is a top 500 seller. Like a vent assist fan for HVAC ductwork - which was also improperly designed and installed. I've never seen anyone install 4" heating ducts on a 20' run to two remote bedrooms before. Rooms which, incidentally, freeze in the winter and smolder in the summer. Egads - I thought they had software for modeling this - I do.

The problem with the vents is that in winter the "air beaters" move hot, moist air from the baths into the attic where it immediately condenses the moisture onto the ceiling and insulation. Additionally, they covered the fans, and vent connections, with blown in loose-fill insulation, so it's a soggy, black mess.

And then there is the pile of 2x4s I picked up while installing more

6.5" roll fibreglass insulation. The attic had 2.5 - 3" of blown in loose-fill - in places. And no existing vapor barrier, either. The pile of 2x4s were supposed to be a nailing flange for the bathroom ceiling around a stub wall. I counted 26 odd nails, and not one hit anything but air. Just a pile of debris. Sheese...

I don't know what these people had in mind when they built this shit, but I'm sure increased "return on investment" was the primary motivating force behind this development project. 20 years old and crumbling fast. You should see the house next door. Woodpeckers living in the rotten parts and the guy ignores it. Damned McMansions. My first house was built in the early 60s, was only 960 sq. ft., and yet it was built like a tank. Hardwood floors, ductile iron sewers, actual diagonal plank sheathing.

But that's progress...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

;~) The wheels on the bus go round and round........

Reply to
Leon

Absolutely no doubt about that. I am waiting to see the day when the peewee leaguers do it.... some of those little tyros are so small the helmet swallows them whole. I would imagine that lifting leg would topple the whole kid.

LOL, those little kiddo's are a hoot to watch. I just envisioned nothing but helmets, running around into each outher on the field.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, if this were being constructed, it could be dealt with much easier.

Yes, but not worth the labor involved at this late date. See notes above - below - sideways... ;-)

Looks like a quiet, functional system but don't think it'll fly for this job. You should have seen the look when the price was mentioned. But you can guarantee if I ever get around to building my own house, all of these types of things will be considered. Including raceways for access to plumbing/electrical/CATV/CAT5/Intercom/Hi-Fi.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Swing.

Now to top it off, it is snowing here! Took me 40 minutes to go 2 miles from the hardware store. I really hate cities...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

It's also used (when not in the shotgun) to put the tight end in motion.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

The NFL is interesting exactly because it is a monkey see, monkey do league. When one team has a great idea, it's quickly adapted by each team that sees it as a fit. In order to differentiate themselves, teams are forced to be innovative because the competition quickly catches up. So-n-so's doing a silent snap count with their leg? Great idea! And it is, really. When a team is on the road, a visual clue to the center is more reliable than an audible one.

Reply to
Jeff

... or sumthin' ;-)

Reply to