OT - Truck Died

Page 1 of 2

The other day, made my daily trip to town, then was taking my usual little drive around town, before heading home. Out on the far edge of town, and the trudk died Dead. No coudh, no sputter, nothing. Just like turning the key off.
Checked, it was getting fuel to the carb, but no spark. No cell phone, of course. Funny part, I'd just stopped at a Dollar Store to get some batteries, and saw they were selling $20 cell phones, and $5 phone cards. And, I decided to get one later. Arrrgghh. I was only a few hundred yards from a store tho, and was able to call to have it carried home.
The younger kid looked at it and determined it's probably ony the module in the distributer. That should run less than $10, and he'll probably be able to get it in tomorrow. Sometimes having kids is a good thing. LOL
It's a '79 GMC pickup, with 130"K miles, and normally runs great. Got it for about $1200 in about Jul 2001. Got a little rust, and isn't worth restoring, the air condiditoning compressor died earlier this year, the radio is giving problems, the defroster doesn't work (it's still got heat), but it's not bad, and I'm gonna run it until it dies beyond bringing back. After all, it's a pickup. If God had meant mankind to walk he'd never have invented pickups. Life is basically good.
JOAT Don't believe everything you think.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:38:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

J T wrote:

The problem with that truck is it won't stay dead. It has more lives than a cat.
er
--
email not valid

Fri, Feb 10, 2006, 9:09pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@eruditorum.org (EnochRoot) doth slur my truck with: The problem with that truck is it won't stay dead. It has more lives than a cat.
Exactly, it's a GMC, not a Ford, so it's worth reviving.
JOAT Don't believe everything you think.
sounds like the beginnings of a country song.....
jc
top posted for my convenience.

Sat, Feb 11, 2006, 1:54pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.nothing (noonenparticular) doth state: sounds like the beginnings of a country song.....
Well, the tracks were only about a hundred yards away, I would have crossed them as soon as I turned the corner, and a train was going by when it died. I wasn't drinking tho. But, I do have an outboard in the back. Hmmm. Hey Swingman, what do you know about writing songs?
JOAT Don't believe everything you think.
"J T" wrote in message

Nada ... but Hollywood loves anachronisms, so just stipulate that Cowboy Troy sings a country rap version of "Teen Angel" at that moment on the movie soundtrack.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:38:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Get yourself some fat bandwidth and watch this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid $02060372341641699&q=trashed+to
BBC TV's "Top Gear" program investigate just what it takes to kill a pickup - it's rather a lot!
The music was the best part
Stephen R
(J T)

Sat, Feb 11, 2006, 2:19pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (AndyDingley) vilely states: <snip> BBC TV's "Top Gear" program investigate just what it takes tokill a pickup <snip>
You beast. Civilized people never "kill" a pickup, they let it die a natural death.
JOAT Don't believe everything you think.
(Andy Dingley) vilely states: <snip> BBC TV's "Top Gear" program investigate just what it takes tokill a pickup <snip>

Sometimes, eu-truck-nasia is the more merciful way to let an old friend slip off the mortal coil spring.
Andy
Sun, Feb 12, 2006, 1:42pm (EST-2) andya@_nospam_cableone.net (Andy) doth claimeth: Sometimes, eu-truck-nasia is the more merciful way to let an old friend slip off the mortal coil spring.
That only aplies if it's one of the trucks with no class. The Jimmy is a '79, so it does have a "little" class, at least enough to keep it going for awhile.
However, if things go well, I have my eyeball on an older Chebby/GMC peekop, '49-'50 era, 5 window. Then, if I can't talk my son into giving back the Chevy engine I had built for my Luve, he's got a Buick straight 8 engine. Shorten the bed, and frame, a bit, drop the straight 8 in, and I'll have a cool, classy, peekop.
JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?
J T wrote:

It was a toyota...
Sun, Feb 12, 2006, 9:54pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (badger) sayeht: It was a toyota...
Ah, in that case, who care? They're kinds like cockroaches, everywhere, and no one'll miss a few.
JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?
Well, the kid got a new module in the distributer last night. It's alive. Was running like crap, then discovered the choke was closed. Fixed that, then found out it won't idle. Let off on the gas, and it dies. Took it to town, and ran find, just had to keep giving it a bit of gas when stopped, or it'd die. Too dark by that time to look, and he'd been in a hurry to leave, but I figure he pulled a vacuum line loose somewhere. I'll get out and check in a bit. Nice to have transportation again.
Now if I can just figure out how to get both of them to work on the Luv. Hell, I'd be happy if I could just get ONE of them working on the Luv. Maybe I "should" have just let the GMC die, they pretty much go into panic mode if they think they'll have to start carrying me around. LMAO
JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?
J T wrote:

Geez, you have a car with a carb and no cell phone.
Do you have running water? ;-)
"Larry Bud" wrote

Do you have hot and cold running water?
Yep, hot in the summer, cold in the winter.
I had to put a new muffler on my 87 Ford F-150, also, insurance is due this month.
Mon, Feb 13, 2006, 11:02am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (LarryBud) doth sayeth: Geez, you have a car with a carb and no cell phone. Do you have running water? ;-)
No, I have a "truck" with a carb, and tha's able to get running again for less then $10. Now I "do" have a cell phone, but I'm not gonna be talking on it driving, in the store, post office, resturaunt, movie theater, and every other place people can think of to annoy other people with a cell phone.
I've had running water ever since I was in the 7th grade.
My next truck will also have a carb, and my next car, too.
JOAT I'm busy now, can I ignore you some other time?