OT: They're back

Page 2 of 3

Damn! Learn something new every day. That is absolutely awesome!
The implications of that mechanism, and it's origins, is absolutely mind-blowing!!
Thanks, Doug!
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Certainly makes one wonder if mother nature really is that mathematically inclined.

Not religious, but maybe I oughta be ... Makes you wonder. A bug using prime numbers for survival ... Sheeeeeesh!
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Swingman wrote:

most things with spiral based shells are based upon the fibinocci sequence
chaniarts wrote:

I'd say shells came first. According to Wikipedia: The Fibonacci sequence is named after Leonardo of Pisa, who was known as Fibonacci. Fibonacci's 1202 book Liber Abaci introduced the sequence to Western European mathematics.
It sounds familiar, but, since you brought it up, How are shells related to the Fibonacci sequence? It surprises me that all shells would have this commonality. I would have expected the kind of variance that you see in the growth rings of trees.
Bill
Bill wrote:

Answering my own question (by copying from Wikipedia):
It is sometimes stated that nautilus shells get wider in the pattern of a golden spiral, and hence are related to both φ and the Fibonacci series. In truth, nautilus shells (and many mollusc shells) exhibit logarithmic spiral growth, but at an angle distinctly different from that of the golden spiral.
Bill
wrote in message

As is the Sunflower ...

Lobby Dosser wrote:

You didn't read my other post? Sweeping generalizations like that, sweet as they may be, are often wrong. Can you cite a reference for your claim about the Sunflower?
Bill
wrote in message

http://www.popmath.org.uk/rpamaths/rpampages/sunflower.html

Um, y'all have this slightly backward.
It isn't that nature knows advanced math. It is that advanced math is what it takes for humans to describe nature. Fibonacci didn't define a sequence just to amuse college freshmen. He did it to make sense of the way that plants tend to be formed -- one stem, two leaf groupings, three leaf groupings, five petals, eight petals, etc..
Maybe there's a Great Mathematician drawing on the chalkboard. Maybe there's mathematical structure making us imagine a chalkboard. Ether way, it is pretty amazing how things tend to fit/work together.
--
Drew Lawson | Pass the tea and sympathy
| for he good old days are dead
On 5/21/2011 7:47 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

I don't have it backwards, mon ami ... that is exactly what I am in awe of!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Farkin' iPad speel checquer added an apostrophe!?! WTF?
--
www.ewoodshop.com

basilisk wrote:

Heh!
What's a hoot is to watch a cat confront his first cicada. The cat will worry it for a while, then the bug will go opossum.
Almost always, the cat will pick up the insect to carry it god-knows-where for further processing.
The cicada will begin to buzz.
Cat invariable leans back and spits the bug twenty-five feet!
On 5/13/2011 7:47 PM, HeyBub wrote:

like popcorn. YUCK !!!!

My cat is gobbling them up like hot wings at happy hour.
--

-MIKE-

Might want to re-assess the dog's diet. Needs more protein & fat! :o)

No way ... the dog has canine epilepsy, which makes him susceptible to having seizures. He takes Phenobarbitol twice daily to control them and is on a very specialized diet as recommended by his vet. You can second guess the vet's advice all day long, but I'm not changing a thing on this end.

Those extra snacks must be playing hell with that diet ...

"">>"" wrote My dog, on the other hand, has been running around for days, eating them like popcorn. YUCK !!!!
Yup. My dog didn't hardly touch her dog food for a month when they were here.
-- Jim in NC

Part of me wants to say "GO, MOM,GO!"
Part of me wants to wish condolences.
<west coaster