OT: Then and now

Page 3 of 3
Mark & Juanita wrote:

then you get sweden. when i lived there my tax rate was 80%. it was a very large disincentive to do any extra work, as the last $ was taxed at the highest rate. overtime was simply not done, by anyone, and you didn't want to stand in the doorway at quiting time.
a friend of mine who was a licensed paramedic in the US was there and tried to volunteer to help the local emt's in their training. he wasn't allowed because the unions didn't allow the concept of volunteers, and they weren't going to pay him.

My wife just sent me this (a little dated, but still relevant)...
The next time you hear a politician use the Word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about Whether you want the 'politicians' spending YOUR tax money.
A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, But one advertising agency did a good job of Putting that figure into some perspective in One of its releases..
A. A billion seconds ago it was 1959. B. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive. C. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age. D. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet. E. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.
While this thought is still fresh in our brain... let's take a look at New Orleans .. It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.
Louisiana Senator, Mary Landrieu (D) Is presently asking Congress for 250 BILLION DOLLARS To rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number... What does it mean?
A. Well ... If you are one of the 484,674 residents of New Orleans (every man, woman, and child) You each get $516,528.
B. Or... If you have one of the 188,251 homes in New Orleans , your home gets $1,329,787.
C. Or... If you are a family of four... Your family gets $2,066,012.
Washington , D. C
HELLO! Are all your calculators broken??
Building Permit Tax CDL License Tax Cigarette Tax Corporate Income Tax Dog License Tax Federal Income Tax (Fed) Federal Unemployment Tax (FU TA) Fishing License Tax Food License Tax Fuel Permit Tax Gasoline Tax Hunting License Tax Inheritance Tax Inventory Tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax) IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax) Liquor Tax Luxury Tax Marriage License Tax Medicare Tax Property Tax Real Estate Tax Service charge taxes Social Security Tax Road Usage Tax (Truckers) Sales Taxes Recreational Vehicle Tax School Tax State Income Tax State Unemployment Tax (SUTA) Telephone20Federal Excise Tax Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax Telephone State and Local Tax Telephone Usage Charge Tax Utility Tax Vehicle License Registration T ax Vehicle Sales Tax Watercraft Registration Tax Well Permit Tax Workers Compensation Tax (And to think, we left British Rule to avoid so many taxes)
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago... And our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
We had absolutely no national debt... We had the largest middle class in the world... And Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
What happened? Can you spell 'politicians!'
And I still have to Press '1' For English.
I hope this goes around the U S A At least 100 times
What the heck happened?????

[remainder snipped] Another useful comparison: the difference between a million and a billion is the difference between giving me a sip of wine and 30 seconds with your daughter -- or a bottle of gin, and all night with her. [from xkcd.com]
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

<snip lots of interesting stuff>

Nope, it was us. Example...
POLITICIAN: We want to amend the constitution so we can tax income. That way, we can do more good stuff for you.
VOTER: I don't want more taxes.
POLITICIAN: Oh, don't worry, it isn't going to affect *you*, just an eensy, weensy, tiny percentage of the really, really rich people.
VOTER: Oh, OK. I don't mind you ripping off the fatcats as long as *I* get some.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yeah, makes one wish the previous administration hadn't committed two-trillion-plus (the Congressional Budget Office says that will be the cost once the interest on that debt is paid) to invading and occupying Iraq--those fictional WMDs have turned out to be awful expensive.

Actually we are not paying for what government spending is going to cost us. If we ran balanced budgets, our taxes would need to be much much higher. http://www.pgpf.org/about/nationaldebt /

No, our spending would need to be much much lower.

In 1950, the top marginal tax rate was 90%. For those that pine for the 50's and 60's, and wonder how the moon program and the interstate highway system were paid for, that's how.
That rate existed from the depression to the 80's ranging from 70 to 95% (high end during war times).
Is it no wonder that with two wars and bush's tax cuts, we've a record deficit (not to mention a bad recession).
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

It's not the tax cuts. Every time, every single time, that taxes have been cut, government revenue goes up.
We conservatives believe that if we could ever get the tax rate to zero, the government would have infinite money. Also that tax cuts cure cander and bee bites.

Finally, an honest Tory.
:-)
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Honest Tory? That's a redundant tautology.

:)
--
Best regards
Han

Why stop there? Doesn't everyone want their mortgage paid and a new car?