OT: The pay ...

Page 1 of 2
... of ALL congressman and school superintendents in the country should be suspended until EVERY school bus is equipped with seat belts.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Why? Seatbelts on school busses are questionable. They can even cause damage if not use properly or if buckles fly around. The seats of the busses are designed for better impact control that the typical automobile. The seat backs have crush zones for the kids in the seat behind it, mounting brackets have to pass certain testing etc.

If the child is seat belted into his seat he or she is less likely to be jumping and running around on the bus. I see this every day during my 2 mile walk around 2 schools You have to be seated, for the seat back crush zone to be effective. ;~)

Then you will need belts with locks. If the kids need discipline, hardware on a seat is not going to cure it.
Swingman wrote:

I think trimming that sentence makes it a bit more appealing.

And the bus will not operate until the seat belt is latched with a child in the seat.
And in the event of an accident that requires rapid evacuation (i.e. fire) do you think that it is realistic for a driver to run around and unbelt 60 kids? I generally agree that restraint is good. However in the unique conditions of a schoolbus, I think that this is not a clear cut issue, that is not a matter of simple cost cutting.
SteveP. www.stellarbuilders.net

You're right, it's a matter of every school bus in the country having to be replaced with a redesigned vehicle built around the same principles of restraint in other modes of transportation ... a downright "inconvenience" that _responsible_ leaders would not shrug off with statistics twisted to suit the status quo and bleating sheep.
Sorry, Dude, I simply don't buy the horseshit rationale and statistical lies expressed by the powers-that-be on this issue.
What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander ... it is adamantly argued that restraint in accidents saves lives in every other mode of motorized transportation, to the point of _law_. Only deluded fools would make a legal exception for school busses, which daily carry the future (as bleak as it might be due to the very same reluctance and lack of leadership) of this country
The argument/theory of "compartmentalization" works fine when a bus is upright, but goes right out the window otherwise ... along with the kid. We saw that with ample clarity yesterday: "Statistically", four more of our children would be alive this morning had there been some form of sensible restraint designed, by law, into that Minnesota school bus ... something other than the cop-out "compartmentalization" method of non-restraint.
Besides, where would you rather spend taxpayer's money - on inflated salaries of politicians and educrats who must drive, seatbelted, to work each school day; or perhaps on the various boondoogles of politicians and corporate interest's that drain money from the taxpayer with no benefit whatsoever; or on safe transportation for your children, where they must wear a seat belt in any other conveyance on the way to school, except the school bus?
Oh yeah, while we're on the subject of taxpayer money actually being spent on the public good ... where the hell is the vision this country's leadership once exhibited in developing an interstate highway system? If Al Gore really wants to take the "initiative" with regard to the Internet ... it's time we built a "broadband internet highway", as ubiquitous and as available to _every_ citizen, as the interstate highway system.
Unfortunately, as with the lack of restraint designed into school busses, we no longer have the vision, honesty, foresight or fortitude to tackle these types of issues ... and we will simply bleat about it on the way to our children's slaughter.
Remember, it's your children who will suffer, on all counts ..
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Highland Pairos wrote:

Realistically, how many school buses catch fire? I'm not sure that belts on a bus are a perfect idea either, but the argument of fire vs. belts has never convinced me.

--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
"Tanus" wrote in message

Put those same "60 kids" on an airplane to Disney Land and see how long it takes to buckle them in.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

problem here is the illegal alien with no driver's license who ran a stop sign and collided with the bus.
--
Regards,

Make the lil' suckers walk to school, uphill both ways, in the snow, like we did..... they might lose a few pounds and get in shape.. ;-]
Then, cut the above mentioned pay in half and use the proceeds to pay good teachers a decent salary.. YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Paying the good teacher a decent salary is easy. Just get rid of the bad teachers and take that savings and divvy it up amongst the good ones.
wrote in message

HUH? The union thugs will be on your doorstep tomorrow.
Sheesh! Next thing you'll tell us that you determine a good teacher by the qualitty of the "product," not the length of service.

BZZZZT! Logic 101 - grade F. Once you fire a teacher, I suppose you believe the students in that classroom disappear? You'd need to hire a replacement or else add to the load of the remaining grade level teachers.
Besides, how do _you_ identify a "bad" teacher?
--
This Administration begs the question: WWJT?

_____
Owen Lowe

You are kidding right? You have to be involved in the school and what your kids are doing. When my children had an incompetent teacher, I made the school aware, as did other concerned parents. Those two teachers no longer teach in those schools. My kids are long out of school, but one of their high school teachers that is well entrenched in the system finally got bounced after 20+ years. It can be done and should be done.

No I wasn't kidding. I was referring to those who criticize and belly-ache because they heard about so and so or read something on the 'net. You must be involved in the schools to know what's really going on.
For example, that the mention of God or religious articles are banned in public schools lament. I may think that is the situation in our town if I hadn't been involved in my local elementary school for the last 4 years. Once you expose yourself to the "inside" community you learn the real scoop - both bad and good. (and in my mind the good far outpaces the bad - I see dedicated teachers and staff who passionately care about "their" kids' achievements and well-being, both in school and out.)
Good on ya Edwin! All parents and community members should be as involved as you were.
--
This Administration begs the question: WWJT?

_____
Owen Lowe

The problem there is what to do to fill the 60-65% of the teaching positions you've just vacated.