OT: Speed controller for table fan?

I bought a new table fan, bat at its lower speed it's just too noisy and moves too much air. Any of you electricity gurus know if I can use the equivalent of a router speed controller on a table fan?
Thanks
Upscale a crit :

you can use a light controller/dimmer .....
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 01:47:23 +0200, olivier

Unfortunately, neither of these may work with the typical small fan motor.
John
John wrote:

The borgs sell ceiling fan controllers. they're made for inductive loads.
I'm still trying to get over the $50 price of a plastic clip-on fan. I don't care if it's got a Lee Valley sticker on it or not...

Thinking outside the box, block some of the air flow on the back side with some clear packaging tape.

Good idea, but I've already tried something similar. No matter what I did, the air flow through the unblocked areas was even louder than without any blockage. The fan's just too powerful.
It's the Lee Valley gardening fan and not really geared for simple cooling like most fans, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'll probably end up putting it at the other end of my apartment and use it as it was designed. http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pV701&cat=2,42194
NO fans are almost always induction motors, and they cannot be controlled by standard speed controls.
Someone refered to fan speed controls - those will not help. The "Fan" rating means that it can handle inductive loads like a universal motor unlike a lamp dimmer. A lamp dimmer may be damaged by inductive spikes, fan controllers are protected.