OT - Slow News Day

Page 4 of 4

Wonder what kind of resistence he met the first few times they were bathed. Me? I'd fill the tub and toss the cat into the water from several feet away. No sense having an arm ripped off by an angry cat. http://www.foundshit.com/angry-cat-swimming /
Tried to give my Deetoo a bath in the kitchen sink once. Had her suspended above the water and bubbles when she let out a growl that caused me to lose what little hair I had left. Needless to say, I don't try to bath the cat any more. I like living.

I take AreToo died?

Absolete

With a snub nose .38

I suppose that is one way of looking at it.
Except some of those small dogs have really loud barks. My little Lhasa Apso can wake the dead., in the middle of the night. Which can be a pain in the ass at times, but has alerted us to prowlers in the early AM, more than once.
The Tibetan monks had a unique approach. They had big mastiffs to patrol outside of the main living quarters. And if anybody got past them, the "temple dogs", the Lhasa Apso would then respond. The Lhasas were bred to recognize familiar people and bark like crazy any time a stranger came around, Which, in my mind, is a perfect, organic alarm system.
Now, I would have never gone out an bought such an animal. But my honey loves them. So...., We have one. But they are very sturdy little dogs. They are hardy, can stand any kind of weather and are strong enough to drag you around on a leash. You just have to keep them clipped or you will have to deal with hair issues every day.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yup. They are great watch dogs and put their heart into whatever they do. Ours was a 'rescued' dog that we were able to get 4 years ago. He teams up very well with our large Lab X. The little guy detects the problem and the big guy goes and checks it out. This past Christmas Eve he was probably responsible for saving the life of an elderly woman.
We live on one of those lane-and-a-half country roads that might see half a dozen cars a day go down it. About 6:30 on Christmas Eve he suddenly started barking in a really determined manner while looking out the front window. Turning on the yard light we saw a person standing at the end of our driveway which is about a hundred feet from the house. Going out to see who it was we found a confused elderly woman who had no idea where she was. The temperature was dropping below freezing and it was snowing. She was dressed in a hip length jacket, had lost her gloves, and had ordinary shoes on her feet and no socks.
It turned out that she had left her house shortly after noon hour, on foot, to go visit a friend. Finding her friend not home, she decided to visit another friend who lived a little further out of town and some how lost her way, but kept walking. We have no idea how she ended up on our road. Eventually we figured out where she lived and got her home. She had walked over 11 km from her home where she lived with her brother. While walking down our road she had passed about a dozen other houses but was afraid to approach them. By the time she reached our place it was really dark and she was scared. So, she paused at the end of our driveway, but was reluctant to come in. If it hadn't been for our little guy we never would have know she was there.
We did manage to contact her social worker afterwards and found out that both her and her elderly brother suffered from Alzheimer's but refused to move into a health care facility.

That turned out pretty well, didn't it?

Probably can't afford it?

That turned out pretty well, didn't it?

Probably can't afford it?
There are two great investments which you can make millions from. One is a Child Care Centre Next is a Retirement Village
From first steps, to your last steps, the money is there, but not so much in between
Robatoy wrote:

Yeah, it did considering what the consequences could have been.

I suspect that's true considering the house, and its state, when we finally got her home. They certainly had the Christmas spirit though, since there were five Christmas trees in their tiny living room. It is sad to see people in these conditions in this day and age and being responsible for themselves. But, where does society draw the line?
However, from what we learned, the option to go into a home would have been taken care of by the province, but they just didn't want to leave their property. They also had no known family other than each other.

So true, and if possible, keep them out of any retirement home till the last minute. I am involved with a Community based project where we try to get retired men out and about doing odd things, like woodwork, toy making, cabinet making, that sort of stuff and what I have found is that when a man retires, he has been out of his house for 10 hours a day 5 days or sometimes 6 days a week for the past 50 years, then he retires, and is home all the time, getting under the feet of his partner, who has had the house to herself for that length of time, then this almost stranger arrives and sits in her sitting room watching football or some sport on her TV when she is used to watching Oprah Winfrey or Dr Phil, this is when arguments start, then because of the man doing nothing all day, he stagnates and vegetates and goes downhill so fast, that before long, he is in a wooden box being lowered into the ground. So, my purpose and the purpose of our group, is to get these men out into a workshop, doing something with their knowledge and time, maybe teaching someone else things they didn't know, or maybe they knew something about it but didn't have the finesse to make the job right.
But, by digressing, I have got away from the original point of keeping retired men active. Don't put your oldies into a retirement home till absolutely necessary. My youngest sister put my parents into a home and they lasted only 5 years after that. She could see money in their little house. But, uprooting elderly people from their home eventually kills them, more sooner than later