OT Resizing a Dust Collector Pre-separator

Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on what parts size changes would be needed when building the following Woodcraft DIY dust collector pre-separator, which is based upon using a 44 gallon container. If, due to "shop" space limitations, I choose to use a 32 gallon or smaller container, is it just a matter of reducing the sizes based upon the ratio?

said, I came up with the following approximate sizes. Using a 32 gallon container the pipe size would change to 2 3/16", the couplings to 1 7/8" and the inlet pipe to 7 1/4". Again, these are just ballpark numbers. I don't even know if PVC fittings are available in those sizes.

If I'm on the right track, then I assume that the same would apply if making one from a 5 gallon bucket as well. Is that true?

I realize that we're not talking about rocket science here and am just trying to learn.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

"Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote in news:%G4xg.71868$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

It's a drop box for the chunks and chips. Use the piping, hose and fittings you have, and see if it works. These things can be overengineered for a home shop.

You're still going to need a broom.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

What he said.

It's a chip collector. The diameter doesn't change between the two sizes or the lid won't fit. The overall height changes, so you won't be able to hold as many chips or as much dust in the smaller can before it starts to re-entrain and pass over to the dust collector itself. Looking at the picture, about the only thing you MAY want to do would be shorten the vortex tube. I'd run it a while before I did that if it was me.

For a 5 gallon bucket, try a shop vacuum, not a dust collector. I think it likely that the 5 gallon bucket has way too little volume for a dust collector. You'd be re-entraining the dust very quickly. Shop vacuums are higher pressure but lower volume devices, and probably would work better for a 5 gallon bucket.

Pick a smooth wall, rigid trash can and aim the inlet flow to be tangential to the wall as close as you can to get better air/particle separation.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Regards, Roy

Regards, Roy

Reply to