OT: Oil lamp sconces - information request

I'm thinking about buying or building some oil lamps to hang on the walls for additional light/in case of blackouts. I have an idea of what I want but I'm not convinced I can find it online. Is bending copper tubing difficult to do consistently? Any information anyone has - or links to retailers, etc.. - would be most appreciated. JP
On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:04:10 -0700 (PDT), JayPique

or Lehmans.com in Kidron Ohio

Why not buy some "hurricane lanterns"? They generally use kerosene. A google search for them should turn up plenty of them.
FWIW, these lanterns give "cosy" light. If you want to read by them, you'll need to sit close. For good light, albeit with a hiss, use a propane lantern. If you go for them, be warned that the light emitting material of the "mantle" is initially a very pliant, crocheted material that needs to burn to become activated, and then becomes very fragile. A principal ingredient is thorium, which is a mildly radioactive substance. Dispose of the dust it may leave properly.
Lastly, LED lights have become very effective and comparatively cheap. If I had to buy something extra over whaat I have as emergency lighting, I'd go for LED lanterns and a supply of rechargeable batteries.
--
Best regards
Han
*********************** http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Products.asp / I have several of these and love them. They use kerosene and have a mantle which gives off almost white light, like a propane lantern, but with no hiss or noise. The old ones are collectible and can be quite pricy. Art
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:45:34 PM UTC-5, Artemus wrote:

http://www.aladdinlamps.com/Products.asp
I didn't realize wall bracket lamps were that expensive, but they do look nice. Thanks for the link.
SOnny
On Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:04:10 PM UTC-5, JayPique wrote:

I have a few old oil lamps, as part of my bottle collection, but none are a sconce application. I have used 1 or 2, now and then, and they are sooty, when burning, though I've tried to adjust the wick. The soot builds up on the globe, also, reducing the light emitted. I have kerosene in my lamps, but there is other oils for lamp use. Kerosene has a slight odor... long ago, small bottles, filled with kerosene, was hung in fruit trees (plum especially) to keep the bugs (plum curculio) from infesting the fruit.
Oil lamps lend to an old style ambiance, but how about a hand made sconce that uses a candle, instead? The candle could be hidden and their scents are pleasing, also. I use candles more often than the oil lamps, when need be.
If you make an oil lamp, bend your copper tube around a form, to get the shape you want. Bend it slowly, to keep it from kinking along the bend. Small tubing is easier to bend without kinking, than large tubing, if you don't have a bending tool. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/5391619600/in/photostream
Flashlights are your friend, too, during blackouts... and in your car/truck, also. Sonny
"JayPique" wrote in message
I'm thinking about buying or building some oil lamps to hang on the walls for additional light/in case of blackouts. I have an idea of what I want but I'm not convinced I can find it online. Is bending copper tubing difficult to do consistently? Any information anyone has - or links to retailers, etc.. - would be most appreciated. JP
Are Coleman gasoline lanterns still available? I have one. It is very bright. Uses Coleman fuel ( same as in their older stoves. WW