OT New "Texas Survivors" season

Page 2 of 3

I got into a cab in NYC and asked the driver for the time. He snarkily said: "You mean NOW??"
Robatoy wrote:

I asked a taxi driver in D.C. why there were no gun stores. The conversation went as follows:
Driver: "Where youz from?" Me: "Texas" Driver: "Youz got guns in Texas?" Me: "In general, or me personally?" Driver: "Youz personally!" Me: "Oh. I have just your basic starter-set." Driver: "Starter set? Whaz that?" Me: "Uh, short-barrel shotgun, carbine, pistol, and a throw-down. Just your basic household set. Three were wedding shower gifts." Driver: "...Wherez you want off!"
jtpryan wrote:

Bumper sticker: "South Austin: We're all here because we're not all there"

Oh man... I like that one!!
Robert

About Texans:
In Texas there is a saying that "You can lead a horse to the water. But you can't make him drink". This pretty much describes most Texans.
But you know that another Texan disproved this addage. Actually Two Texans disproved this proverb. It took one Texan to hold the horse's head in the water while the other had to get on the horse's ass and SUCK!!!!
Texans are hardheaded. I know - my dad and mom are from Texas...
Philski (back after a long hiatus from rec.woodworking)

Hmmm.... sounds like a spew from a denizen of the lesser states...
I think it quite odd in my limited travels that I have had to hear from all the open minded folks in New Mexico, Nevada, California etc., that in their "open mindedness" they have such negative opinions about Texas. (I have found many Oklamhomans to be just like Texans, so they don't count.)
Most have never been here, and they aren't really sure why, but they many seem to have strong, negative, vocal opinions they simply must share.
Strange, too. You would think listening to them that >we Texans< would be the judgmental folks with big mouths ready to shit blast anyone within range about another's State. Never met more opinionated, judgmental folks in my life (except in Dallas) than when I left the borders here.
Get a group of Californians ragging on Texas (even though they haven't personally been here, they all seem to "know" someone from here - and hearsay seems to qualify as personal experience for many) and you can't get a word in edgewise from all the whining.
Robert

Possibly, the attitude of superiority from Texans? You just did it yourself by calling other states "lesser", maybe unconsciously, but still done nevertheless.

And, you're still doing it by accusing Californians of whining. If you're going to voice a complaint about people criticising Texas, then it would be helpful to your case if you didn't do it by criticising other states at the same time.
I don't know any Texans much less anybody from the US that I knew was American, so all I can do is voice how it appears to me as an outside observer.
wrote in message

Good observation but all but one state are smaller than Texas. LOL

A funny observation, my wife, son and I visited her relatives in Burlington, Ontario in 1998. We went in our Pickup badged with our Texas plates. We first visited her aunt in Buffalo, not the one in Texas, proceeding from there she drove her car with my wife on board to lead to us to her sisters house in Burlington. The experience I had and the experience the border guard had should have been filmed and shown on one of the Funniest Video shows on TV. The border guard must have been in his early 20's and was very wise, ;~) to us Texans, especially the ones driving pick up trucks. When we went through the border crossing my wife and her aunt just scooted on through. My ten year son and I were stopped and "questioned". LOL
What is your business in Canada? How long are you staying?
Do you know what the Canada's policy is, concerning guns being brought in across the border? My comment was, YOU don't like guns and don't allow them. That apparently was the wrong answer. The question was asked again and I kinda snickered out loud. The result from that response was a memorized quote about a specific law concerning gun trafficking across the border. I nodded my head and the border guard then asked If I was bringing in a gun or guns. I responded, No, with a smile. I was hiding sumthin and he could smell the fear! He repeated the memorized quote again and asked if I was bringing in a gun or guns again. I was finally started to realize this young feller was serious or trying to be because he would almost always grin at my answers. Apparently I was not giving the answers that the training course had taught or my Texas accent was throwing him.
Finally he said don't get caught with guns here in Canada and told me to proceed to the covered parking area up ahead on the left. I said thank you and proceeded into Canada. As I approached the covered area I saw uniformed personnel disassembling vehicles and spreading their parts out all over the grounds. I veered to the right, caught up with my wife and aunt and chose not to go to the covered parking area to have my new truck disassembled. No police chase or arrests occurred involving me and we went on our merry way.
Visiting the aunt in Burlington was fun and uneventful but it was later revealed that her daughter who came to also visit and meet the "Texas relatives" commented, "they were OK, not strange or what at I expected. She was a hoot, eh! We thoroughly enjoyed the visit and put to rest all the preconceived notions about their relatives from Texas.

No you don't! A valiant attempt, but you're not exempting "lesser" that easily. :)
Leon wrote:

I heard that if Texans did not stop bragging about how big their state is that the Alaskans are going to cut their state into two pieces and make Texas the third largest state. ;-)
Dan

I had a similar experience crossing into Canada last year in a car with Texas plates. It has to be part of their training. The question I found most odd was "Do you have guns at home?". If I did, they were at home, 1800 miles away. Not likely to be a danger to peace loving Canadians.
Three months later, I crossed into Canada in a rental car with Washington State plates. Not a single discussion of guns.
-- Doug

A little profiling there. I didn't think the utopians believed in profiling. :-)
Douglas Johnson wrote:

I've found that when asked by Canadian border authorities if I brought any guns from Texas with me, that simply saying: "No, I mailed them ahead to my hotel" is good for a chuckle or two.
"Dave in Houston" wrote

Yep ... except for the official Aggie hurricane evacuation route out of Houston:
610 Loop.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL, Hilda calls that I-610
In all seriousness, the quickest way to get people out of Houston is to build 3,000,000 rooms 50 miles out side the loop. Then there will actually be some where to for them go and stay.
Hey! Even as just a visitor to the fair town of Kyle, I was afforded a "tab" at the Kyle Hardware Store, a seat at the old kitchen table in the back, free coffee if I had my own cup, and got to know a half dozen local characters sitting around that table in the back - one an old flamboyant gay gentleman, another a crusty weather worn rancher, an about to retire lineman for the electric company who shoots some of his buddies up on a pole - with a pellet gun - just for fun (he only give the rifle a pump or two), a semi-retired elderly gambler, and Bubba, the son of the couple who own the place, who invited me to go Muddin' with him sometime before my visit ended.
When a furniture maker friend suggested I stop in at a local turning club meeting - held in a VFW room - I was made to feel at home the minute I walked in the door.
And it's easy to strike up a conversation with Texans, unlike city dwelling New Yorkers. And they don't hold it against you if you don't drive a pickup - with or without a gun rack. And smoking isn't a Scurge On The Town, nor is tilting back a couple, even in public, assuming it isn't snowing or hailing. And folks don't bitch and moan when the thermometer breaks the 85 degree, or 30 degree barrier.
I'm not thrilled about the idea that they have a Death Sentence Express Lane - but that's just my view.
So, hats off to Texans. I won't hold Dubya against them either - since he's actually a New England Blue Blood, despite his Aw Shucks, Shit Kicker fascade, Tejano disguise.

Now that is funny. Leave it up to a Texan to find a solution, perhaps not one that every one would agree with or do but they get the job done.

I'm embarrassed for both of us. I threw that one out there (which I thought was pretty good...) and you are the only one that bit. I guess I'm gonna have to leave that finer bit of posting art to "r".
> > Get a group of Californians ragging on Texas (even though they haven't

Based on personal experience. I has a sister that lived in CA, and almost without fail when visiting we were greeted with an eye roll and heavy sigh when we folks we met where we were from. Odd, not so much in the north end of the state...

Thanks, Dad. But I wasn't making a case. It was my personal observation.

So with no dog in the contest.... this is just personal?
Just take a second and breathe. I can't think of anyone that enjoys a "Texas" joke more than a Texan. The state is physically so big and diverse that jokes and ribbing abound covering all aspects of the state. We aren't always too PC, and for the most part don't care.
Please don't turn Leon and me in...
Robert

Well, at 3:30 in the morning, I'm apt to bite more than I usually do and that's most of the time. So, you caught me.