OT:My truck died.

Page 2 of 2

I had an '87 Dodge D150, slant six, that I ran from '88 until 2003. It wasn't a world beater for power, gas mileage or much else, but it ran reliably, and had only one non-normal repair in my 165,000 miles of use...pinhole in the water pump, so that had to be replaced. Otherwise, all maintenance. I was afraid, with 200,000 or so on the clock, it wouldn't make it over the mountains to WV, so I sold it in '03 for about 30% of what I paid for it in '88. The guy is still driving it locally.
I am currently driving a '98 S10 that is far less of a world beater anywhere except gas mileage. At my current driving pace, it may outlast me.
Charles Self wrote:

That 220 slant 6 was one of the best engines ever built. I had one in an old 73 dodge van. It easily had over 200,000 miles on it when it was retired and sold. Bought it just after high school and used it for everything.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Charles Self wrote:

Just passed 100,000 miles on my Tonka Toy.
Freind of mine just drove cross country with his which has over 350,000 on it.
Other than oil and filters changed on a regular basis, the only other items replaced include some rubber, a set of plugs & wires, and new front brakes at 90,000.
When it passes 400,000, will probably sell it and stop driving.
Detroit seems unwilling to build products with that kind of reliability.
Lew
Lew Hodgett said:

I just sold, reluctantly, two cars that I have had since 1979 and 1983. The Toyota with 4-ME straight six and EFI had over 360,000 miles, and the Peugeot had over 480,000 miles.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/toyota.htm
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/peugeot.htm
Both still ran, just didn't have room. It was like selling a child... (SWMBO wouldn't buy that argument...)
FWIW,
Greg G.
I worked in the new car industry for many years and typically get a good deal as I know the jargon that lets them know that I am on to their game.
That said, I would buy from CarMax if shopping for a new car, providing you have one local. There IS NO PRESSURE to buy anything.

OOps make that if you are shopping for a USED car.
I've bought 3 vehicles from Carmax, been happy with each one and paid a fair price for each one. I sold one back to them and replaced with it something else, they made it pretty painless and the amount they paid was fair.
The buying transactions were easy too.
We financed one, paid cash and the trade-in for the other 2.
I'd go back and will when I need another vehicle.
John E.

Wed, Dec 28, 2005, 3:01am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (CW) doth claimeth: For the last fifteen years, I have been driving a 1976 Ford F250 pickup. When people would ask "when are you going to buy yourself a new truck", <snip> Best I can hope for out of this is I get something that I will beable to drive for as many years as the last one. R.I.P
Nah, you're looking at it all the wrong way. Get a brand new crate engine, for something over a grand, have it installed for a bit more, then you've got a totally reliable truck. And can keep on bugging the people after you to get a new truck. Best of both worlds. Plus you save a bundle.
Looks like my two sons are actually (really) getting ready to finish my "new" truck for me. So hopefully, the new year will see me hauling wood in it. But, for now my '79 GMC, half-ton, long bed, daily driver, will do.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
A good place to do research is http://www.edmunds.com /. I used http://www.autobytel.com/ to get a quote from a local dealer. Got a bit below fleet price and bought from that dealer. As long as you can get that quote, it makes life simpler.     gaggers,     jo4hn
jo4hn said:

Gosh. I buy my vehicles from original owners whenever possible... While it may be more difficult to find the "exact" color you want, it cuts out that huge "dealer overhead". But that's just me...
FWIW,
Greg G.