OT: More weather

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:07:33 -0600, Duane Bozarth
<snip>

yeah.. kind of like those dudes along the major rivers in the south that get flooded out every few years.. you always see them interviewed on tv and saying something like "well, we've been flooded out many times before and we'll rebuild just like we always have"..
I just want to shake them and say "move the friggin house back to higher ground, dipstick!"
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

As long as insurance and FEMA keep paying them to rebuild they won't. On the other hand, after Hurricane Hugo sent a 13' storm surge through the area I saw a lot of mobile homes, aka trailers, being set on columns of cinderblocks to raise them above that level. They did cement them together though. Joe
Joe Gorman wrote: ...

Yeah, like that'll stand up!!! :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Doesn't have to stand up long, just enough to meet the above flood waters requirement for someone else to pay to have it fixed:-) There were cases where insurance paid for the roof and top 12" of damage to the structure. The lower damage was flood damage and requires separate insurance. Joe
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

The why of it? ... hell, that's easy:
"I want, I deserve, I can afford, I am Californian, therefore I shall have ... mother nature wouldn't dare interfere with _my_ desires."
Which brings up the more basic question: Don't they have PE's in California who design foundations and don't they require soil reports prior to building?
That said, we have our own brand of fools down here in Texas who build on the beaches and on rivers that have been flooding for centuries ... granted, most of them came from elsewhere in the last twenty years.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

PEs are not, as a rule, infallible. And the less expensive the project, the less investigative time will be taken on the soils report. Less than 30 years ago, some of today's $700k houses sold for $40k, and many of those were resales, build a decade or two prior to that.

So, what I want to know is who has got such a booming export market in fools?
Native Californians, like native Texans, and natives elsewhere, know where the problems are. The ones that ignored common sense tended to lose their homes, property and/or lives, before the advent of generalized, cover foolishness property insurance.
Europeans tend to build as though a house were a multigeneration investment. In the US, we get McMansions.
Patriarch, rebuilding the 'affordable California home', one challenge at a time...
"Patriarch" wrote in message

I would never presume to answer that for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude ......... but, hasn't the general trend been from East to West, North to South? :)

Bingo!
Welcome to the "teardown age" ... the new houses we build today are the "teardowns" of tommorrow, based loosely on the term of the mortgage.

Take off them shades when you talk like that, boy!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

Well, there was a period in which the predominant trend was South to North, particularly to traditional northen midwest, as in Detroit, etc. And, now there's a smaller trend of West Coast to "not so West". But, overall, yeah, that's been the trend...
And to get the thread back OT... :)
Wind just shifted to north and it's dropped 25 F in the last hour or so...blue norther is on its way. (It was 53F here at 11AM w/ light S wind and were reporting <30 F about 60 miles north of us at the time.) Fortunately, there's not a lot of moisture left so total precip is expected to be minimal here, the lucky folks that got the 2" of freezing rain last week are to be the targets again, however.
"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

80 in Houston right now, 35 forecast for tomorrow night.
IOW, it's heading this way ... please put that barbed wire fence back up, and add a couple of strands while you're at it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Swingman wrote:

Sorry, the tumbleweeds just took it down and it's too d--- cold to go put it back until spring...the kittle will just have to fend for themselves 'til then... :)
Yep, it's on its way fo' shoo-ure...
Swingman wrote:

The "why" question was rhetorical, of course... :)

I'd be more inclined to believe you'd have better luck with Barbara Boxer; or make it a twofer and include Nancy Pelosi. ;-)