OT: More weather

"Swingman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

PEs are not, as a rule, infallible. And the less expensive the project, the less investigative time will be taken on the soils report. Less than

30 years ago, some of today's $700k houses sold for $40k, and many of those were resales, build a decade or two prior to that.

So, what I want to know is who has got such a booming export market in fools?

Native Californians, like native Texans, and natives elsewhere, know where the problems are. The ones that ignored common sense tended to lose their homes, property and/or lives, before the advent of generalized, cover foolishness property insurance.

Europeans tend to build as though a house were a multigeneration investment. In the US, we get McMansions.

Patriarch, rebuilding the 'affordable California home', one challenge at a time...

Reply to
Patriarch

The "why" question was rhetorical, of course... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

As long as insurance and FEMA keep paying them to rebuild they won't. On the other hand, after Hurricane Hugo sent a 13' storm surge through the area I saw a lot of mobile homes, aka trailers, being set on columns of cinderblocks to raise them above that level. They did cement them together though. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Joe Gorman wrote: ...

Yeah, like that'll stand up!!! :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, there was a period in which the predominant trend was South to North, particularly to traditional northen midwest, as in Detroit, etc. And, now there's a smaller trend of West Coast to "not so West". But, overall, yeah, that's been the trend...

And to get the thread back OT... :)

Wind just shifted to north and it's dropped 25 F in the last hour or so...blue norther is on its way. (It was 53F here at 11AM w/ light S wind and were reporting

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I would never presume to answer that for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude ......... but, hasn't the general trend been from East to West, North to South? :)

Bingo!

Welcome to the "teardown age" ... the new houses we build today are the "teardowns" of tommorrow, based loosely on the term of the mortgage.

Take off them shades when you talk like that, boy!

Reply to
Swingman

80 in Houston right now, 35 forecast for tomorrow night.

IOW, it's heading this way ... please put that barbed wire fence back up, and add a couple of strands while you're at it.

Reply to
Swingman

Sorry, the tumbleweeds just took it down and it's too d--- cold to go put it back until spring...the kittle will just have to fend for themselves 'til then... :)

Yep, it's on its way fo' shoo-ure...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'd be more inclined to believe you'd have better luck with Barbara Boxer; or make it a twofer and include Nancy Pelosi. ;-)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Whitehorse, eh? I'm one of those crazy 'mericans that drove through there last July, even spent the night (if you want to call that midnight till something AM period "night"). Big city for that part of the world; I was a might pleased to see a WalMart at that point. I made it all the way up to that other "Horse", "Dead Horse, AK", 11000 mile round trip and that was with taking the ferry back to Washington state.

Reply to
John Keeney

Doesn't have to stand up long, just enough to meet the above flood waters requirement for someone else to pay to have it fixed:-) There were cases where insurance paid for the roof and top 12" of damage to the structure. The lower damage was flood damage and requires separate insurance. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Eleven THOUSAND miles? Where the hell were you going from and to? That's nearly half the circumference of the earth! It's only about

3,300 miles from Miami to Seattle. How long were you on that thing?
Reply to
John W. Fawcett