OT - Medical Marvel - Duct Tape

Superglue is also a very effective bandage and is now used in some plastic surgery according to Discovery Health Channel. My father was stapled after his surgery a coupe weeks ago. If he hadn't had the staples removed this Monday I was going to stop at officemax/officedepot and pick up a staple remover and mail it to him ;)

Reply to
Eugene

I know they've made a lot of advances in medicine, but didn't know they were this far advanced.

JOAT People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

Reply to
J T

What?

You don't follow the updates from the American Duct Tape Counsel?

You can do almost anything with duct tape.

Check out Garrison Keillor on the Prairie Home Companion some time.

Always has lots of duct tape info.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Except seal up a cardboard box for shipping. I tried that one night -- by the next morning, all the tape was lying in a pile on the floor. Very weird.

Reply to
mark

It is not as effective as stump water and flinging a dead cat. By the way, the same duct tape and emery board regimen on your stomach for 2 months would probably make your belly button disappear.

Reply to
justme

There was a duct-tape medicine scene in "The Aviator" FWIW. Seems after he crashed his buddies patched Howard Hughes up with duct tape and when he got home Kate Hepburn had some comments about his reactions as she removed it to do proper repairs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

IIRC, superglue started in surgery?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote: ...

I thought it was another of the NASA materials spin-offs???? (But I have no reference)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In Vietnam.

Reply to
GregP

Cyanoacrylate was discovered during WWII. It was actually a mistake, the person who formulated it was trying to use it to bind lenses temporarily -- the CA glue he came up with formed a permanent bond, he was tremendously annoyed and afraid he had ruined two very good expensive lenses. This info was on a web page I read a number of years ago, I don't have a link -- you might try using google for more details.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

WWII vintage. There's a very brief history at that matches my recollection (I recall the "I've Got A Secret" episode vaguely, and the stuff _was_ known as "Eastman 910" and hideously expensive for a very long time, presumably until the patent expired).

There's a longer one at

--note that the first reference listed is the "Kingsport Times-News"--seems like a kind of odd source, some hole in the wall local newspaper, but Kingsport is the town where the Eastman labs in which it was invented are located and presumably has good access to the Eastman staffers.

There is some specific information about the medical uses at

--note that the surgical glues are octyl- and butyl- cyanoacrylate while the hardware-store glues are usually methyl-cyanoacrylate.

The Inventors' Hall of Fame entry for Harry Coover, who made the initial discovery, is at .

If you Google "cyanoacrylate coover" you'll get 183 hits, including some from Coover's college and various other sources.

Reply to
J. Clarke