Duct Tape, or what?

I am trying to seal my old hot air heating/air conditioning ducts. I was told not to use the traditional duct tape, but to use special tape and mastic. My ducts are the flexible type, with a thin layer of insulation.

I found several kinds of metal tape at the HD. Are they all suitable for heating systems? The assistant did not have a clue.

I did not find any mastic at the HD. Any recommendation for the mastic and where to buy it?

Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

My HD does have the "mastic" in small expensive cans.

I use the metal duct tape, lasts for ever.

You will need to pull back the insulation and seal the flex (usually plastic) then pull over the insulation and I use a ty-wrap then tape.

And you really thought the assistants at the borg stores had a clue?

Reply to
SQLit

Use aluminum tape 1-2 mil thick that is the best thing I have found to seal ducts. Duct tape only sticks to itself over time. The other thing I used two houses ago was butyl caulk it doesn't dry it stretches and gives with out giving up.

Rich

Reply to
Rich