OT: Lunar Eclipse February 20, 2008

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2008Feb21/TLE2008Feb21.html
--
Dave in Houston

one.
jc

Enjoy. We have no chance of seeing it here. It's snowing pretty hard right now....
Jeff wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

10 degrees here in Southeast Iowa, clear skies, and my wife is outside with her camera. She always gets excellent shots.
Maybe I will moon her!

I hope you don't spoil my shot..LOL
The skies are incredibly clear tonight and the eclipse has already started. So has the drop in temperature..7 F already

I watched it in 8F weather, first spending a half hour messing with my sister's telescope. I finally quit trying to align the thing by using the "finder" and just lined the telescope with an approximate direct line between the viewfinder and the moon. It took 30 seconds, and I had the moon in the viewfinder!
Kinda neat to watch, even if it was backwards.
Puckdropper
marching band.
in

Finder scopes are generally worthless.
Just get a very low-power eyepiece, one that gives you a ~ 2 degree field of view to find the object and then switch to whatever magnification you want.
--
FF

Pretty much the same here in Baja... We sat on the beach and watched for a few hours... huge moon last night and clear sky so it was pretty dramatic..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Nice thread! I haven't been visited rec.woodworking for a long time, but deja'd my way in looking for info on router planes. I'm sort of an amateur astronomer, and spend most of my time in sci.astro.amateur, (a fine amateur astronomy group which for some months has been suffering badly from severe attacks from trolls, jerks, and nutballs.) It's fun to see the woodworkers enjoying a look at the night sky! Marty
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:31:50 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marty) wrote:

Marty.. I enjoy the OT stuff almost as much as the wood stuff..
I've also found that groups that discourage the OT stuff usually dry up and blow away, as groups like this keep interested folks here..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
In article

It's bloody cold here, but it looks like we'll have clear skies.
http://improve-usenet.org /
Jeff wrote:

new snow and more on the way. Ready for spring.     shiver,     jo4hn
Jeff wrote:

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA