OT: LED lighting fires

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:44:13 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Having been it the energy retrofit market for years before retiring this has been an on going issue since electronics have played a bigger of manufacturing. You have so much more potential for failure when you add in the number of additional components. In the beginning of electronic ballast installations, on many jobs the failure rate was so high the manufacturer would end up paying you to go redo the job. You wanted to be sure you bought from major suppliers.
Mike M
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:16:17 -0600, lektric dan wrote (in article

Exactly.
Many of the LED's take far more current, some I've used take several amps. LED arrays look like a single device, but actually are many smaller LEDs inside a single package. I've used arrays (Cree) that take 48V at about 300ma.
Note that LED's are current, not voltage dependent devices. A proper power supply will be current regulated.
-Bruce

Expect that the burned units had plastic casings on their power supplies. Metal casings bleed off heat much better, which helps to keep the enclosed circuits from burning out. Most of the failed T-8 (cheap) fluorescent ballasts I've seen were plastic boxes. Failed metal-enclosed ballasts are almost dead-on reliable.