OT: Internal Combustion Breakthrough?

Page 4 of 7

Damn. My '01 F250 PowerStroke (6500+ lbs) would make a whopping 18 if I kept it at 65 all day. My pard's '96 Dodge Cummins (now with over 300k and a 3.55 rear end) gets 23at that speed - damn it.
Dave in Houston
Doug Winterburn wrote:

What's the criteria for "pretty well"? A smaller vehicle could get twice that mileage on the highway (but of course couldn't pull the 5th wheel).
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

But how much smaller does it have to be to get twice that mileage on the highway?
--John
Chris Friesen wrote:

It creams the 14-15 MPG mileage of my 6 cylinder Jeep Wrangler! <G>
Chris Friesen wrote:

Seems like a question that pretty well answers itself.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Doug Winterburn wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The economy is better now and the deisel is even better than gas.
I remember a 74 Merc wagon that gave me 12.5 mpg whether or not I was towing. Gas was cheap then.
Last fall I took an 08 Silverado 4X4 with the big gas motor (6.5?, 7.5?) from Oshawa to Lucan (maybe 150 miles) for a dealer. Started out with a full tank and had to add more in St Marys so I could get back. That thing sucked fuel faster than I could put it in :) To top that all off, the truck acted like a dog - no getup and no go.
Would you believe that truck was not what the dealer ordered so it had to go back. Took it back and got another that had the big blown diesel. Same 4X4 as the other one but for the motor. This one was a real pleasure - great off the line and still had real punch at 80 mph. To top it all, started with 3/4 tank and still had some left when I got home.
That said, we are still paying for the big 3 greed in circumventing the thrust of CAFE. And now we are going to have to bail them out???
P D Q
PDQ wrote:

They had to be. If you base CAFE on vehicles that have to carry tons of cargo then you defeat the purpose.

If they were carrying on as before then they would still be producting vehicles such as my '76 Lincoln and would not be producing vehicles such as the Ford Focus. Perhaps you do not remember the Falcon, which would today be mid-size but in the late '50s was about as small as Detroit made. Even the large sedans are smaller now.

What of it? All the manufacturers were making SUVs long before CAFE and AWD was an Audi innovation first introduced in a small sedan.
As for Hummer, the Hummer was _never_ produced by a big three auto maker until GM bought the product line in 1998 and started rebadging other vehicles as Hummers, all of which are smaller and lighter and more fuel efficient than the original, non-big-three produced Hummer. If you don't like the Hummer you need to blame the Army for writing the specification.
Do you also remember mini-vans?
As the car manufacturers downsized their sedans and dropped station wagons from the product line, people needing such vehicles had no choice but to go to SUV or mini-vans and for some reason people don't like mini-vans. And CAFE is what killed the station wagon. Or do you really think that high gas mileage station wagons that do what station wagons are supposed to do can be built without a breakthrough in engine technology?

Volvos?
Bite who? If you're being bitten by it then you must have bought one.

You're welcome to think whatever you want to but you clearly aren't familiar with the product lines of any domestic auto manufacturer. There are many kinds of car in production that are not SUVs. You are acting as if Detroit just stopped producing cars entirely and started producing SUVs exclusively.
--John

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html#autosalesA
I could only find Jan 2009 data. Not all 2008. Based on Jan 2009 data over half of the vehicles sold in the US fall into the truck category. So only about half the vehicles meet the CAFE standards. Or have to meet them. No, auto companies have not changed one iota in the last 30 years. Less than half the vehicles sold are cars. Most are some form of truck. No personal opinion required. Just the numbers.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

While you were googling all this bullshit did you happen to google the standards? If you had you would have found that light trucks have been subject to CAFE since 1978. And the Ford F series pickup has been the most popular vehicle in America for more than 30 years.
You just don't seem to be able to get past the notion that Americans, dogs, and elderly Japanese gentlemen love trucks.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

I think the government should ban cars completely as a waste of resources. A truck halls people just like a car, but is easier to get in and out of than a pot hole with wheels on it. In a truck you can hall people, 2x4's, 2x6's 2x8's 2x10's 2x12's, full plywood sheets, fire wood, stoves, refrigerators, people, shingles, dogs, baseball teams, horse manure, people, brush, logs, scrap metal, table saws, band saws jointer's, planers, furniture, dog kennels, cat houses, people and a few other things I can think of. Why would anyone waste money on a damned car that does almost nothing?
I sure hope no wood workers drive cars around here... sheesh!
--
Jack
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:13:38 -0500, Jack Stein cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Pssssst.... "hauls" man, "hauls". Not "halls".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Try moving your lips and reading out loud, and the meaning will be much clearer than looking everything up at Dictionary dot com....
--
Jack

You're a bit of an abrasive fuck, ain't you Jack?
Robatoy wrote:

I never react well to spelling cops...
So yes! I notice you ain't so full of sugar plums either...
--
Jack
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:48:14 -0500, Jack Stein cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Well - then learn to spell when you're posting in public forums and you won't suffer the heartburn of people correcting you. Oh - by the way, I didn't have to look it up on Dictionary.com - apparently you should have.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Well, learn that public forums are not second grade spelling contests. If you had trouble figuring out the meaning of the sentence that gave the other guy so much trouble, then there is little hope for you in the public forums.

Why? I doubt anyone that spent more than a day in the public forums had trouble understanding what was meant. I also doubt anyone thinks I, or anyone else posting, doesn't know the difference between hall and haul.
I appreciate the sanctimonious attitudes of the spell cops but they are seldom to never needed on a public forum. As a matter of fact, the spell cops generally rear their ugly little heads when they have nothing left other than an ad hominem attack.
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Wait a minute! My dear departed Mum was a spell and grammar cop. She'd whack me upside the head when I strayed from her standards. :-)
Doug Winterburn wrote:

But did she haunt the public forums? If she did, shame on her. Her time would have been much better spent preaching correct message format and editing methods than harassing adults for spelling and typing mishaps. Besides, when your Mum corrected your spelling or grammar she was teaching you because she wanted you to be successful, not mounting an ad hominem attack. Major difference.
--
Jack
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:48:11 -0500, Jack Stein cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

I think it's just obvious you don't know how to spell "haul".

Jack - you present the classic usenet self-absorbed loser. A poor attempt at escaping your own mis-steps. Recall - it was you who threw out the first ad hominem attack after a rather light comment on your misuse of the word "hall". Of course everyone could figure out what you meant - as well, everyone could see that you did not know the proper spelling of "haul". You exposing your panties in a usenet forum does not require that everyone else accomodate you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

Baloney!
Typing "hall" vs "haul" is certainly a mis-step, but it's the type of error common in usenet and insignificant.

You seem confused on the meaning of "first" as well as ad hominem, all in one sentence.
Recall, you were the first one to respond to this, after 3 other people responded... makes sense. Did you know I was the first one to complain about spell cops on usenet, after 4 million others, that is. Did you know Buzz Aldrin was the FIRST man on the moon... just after Neil Armstrong?
Of course everyone could figure out what you meant - as well,
Of course they could, so pointing out something so silly that had nothing to do with the argument presented was classic usenet drivel and the resulting banter one of the things that makes usenet fun for those choosing to participating in the frivolity.

Really? How could "everyone" know that? There are a number of reasons one might type "hall" when one meant to type "haul" in a usenet message, and not knowing how to spell the word is at the very bottom of the list.

If you think spelling "haul" instead of "hall" or protesting spell cops in a public forum is exposing one's panties, you have a long road ahead of you on usenet...
--
Jack