OT - HUMOR - Ordering pizza in 2008

Page 1 of 2
I thought some might enjoy this:
http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:36:29 -0500, the inscrutable Nova

O H M I G O D !     Scary schtuff, schweetheart.
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================
Scary, you bet. And relevant. I signed on to teach a course in astronomy through my town's recreation department. Before they'll approve the course I am required to sign an authorization that allows them to query the Selective Service, ANY law enforcement agency or jail officer, ANY place of business, ANY court, ANY school or other educational institution. And to top it off, they want me to sign away ANY rights I may have to liability or damages of ANY kind. After checking with the ACLU and my state government, I'm about to tell them some very specific place where they can store their form. It may be legal, but it ain't right.
Bob

Remember to send a thank you note to your local trial lawyers for that.
todd

I thought it somewhat ironic that it was the aclu (a bunch of trial lawyers in their own right) hosting the above parody. Although the parody did leave out the dialog, "Oh, I see you are a member of the Church of ..., all of our currently available cooks are athiests and your presence in our restaurant would be offensive to their non-beliefs, therefore, I am going to have to terminate this order and file a grievance against you for harassing our employees for having beliefs they find offensive ..."
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Trial lawyers and the ACLU. The ACLU has no regard for values, they defend child sexual preditors! While most trail lawyers are lower than whale shit at the bottom of the ocean, at least they are in it for personal greed which puts them one step above the ACLU.
Todd Fatheree wrote:

Phil wrote:

While trail lawyers do engage in certain excesses at times, personally I'm just as happy that someone is making sure that there are a few trails left open to the public.

--
--John
Bob Schmall wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they need "authorization" to do this. Seems to me that all they need is the phone number of each of those entities and they can "query" them to their hearts' content.
Now, among those entities, some will know nothing about you, so why do you care if they query them? And others will know something about you, like whether you're a draft dodger or wanted criminal or are in some other way prohibited by law from participating in Federally funded programs, of which their recreation department is no doubt one, or whether you have in fact taken and passed an astronomy course or exhibited a useful knowledge of astronomy or are in some other way qualified to teach astronomy, which would be a useful thing for them to know before they set you in front of a classroom, or whether the last place you worked you were a reasonable employee or whether you cussed out the boss and pissed off the customers, which again it would be useful for them to know before they put you in front of a room full of people who are expecting some sort of reasonably effective interaction.
Sorry, but it doesn't seem to me that they've asked you for anything unreasonable there. The "ANY" part is probably a lot easier on them than listing all of the specific agencies that they will contact in _your_ case based on your employment history and the like.

Which is standard for government agencies employing part time workers--some kid spills his coffee on you you might shrug it off, but somebody else will sue _them_ for running their coffee machines too hot or creating a hostile work environment or some such instead of just accepting that shit happens or going after the student for malicious clumsiness or whatever.

How many former prospective employers have you told where they could store their form? Seems to me that if you're prone to tell people where to store their forms you're going to be very unhappy dealing with the more obstreperous sort of student.

--
--John
Hi Bob.

I've heard of due diligence but what is "diligents"? Is that a gentleman who likes dill pickles??? :>)
toolguy wrote:

Diligents are gentlemen (and ladies) who exercise diligence.
--
--John
Not Bad.... :)

On 29 Jan 2005 13:24:14 -0800, the inscrutable "toolguy"

Another guy just said "should of" today. Oy vay. Spreak Engrish, troops!
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================

"There's millions of them, on all three sides of us..."
djb
--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green

Larry Jaques wrote:

Um, I think "heard of" is correct, grammatically. I even talked to my resident grammar expert and she said it was acceptable. Are we wrong? Wait, don't answer that. Is it indeed incorrect to say, "I've heard of that."? (Damn. Now a punctuation conundrum!)
-Phil Crow

But "should of" instead of "should have" is not.
djb
Aahhhh HAAA!
That's what I thunk. Thanks.
-Phil Crow
Naw, just two finger typing, and the left finger didn't know what the right finger was doing. I'm just glad my middle fingers didn't get involved...

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:48:09 -0500, "SawDust (Pat)"

The problems they're addressing were always a problem, it's just that they were neatly swept under a rug somewhere, say another parish. The difference is that these things are now on the table, in plain view.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid writes:

It might very well be that that signing away of any rights regarding liability or damages of any kind also includes anything they might say to someone else/another agency, be it based in fact or fiction. That's a dangerous thing to do as it can ultimately destroy you or your ability to earn a reasonable living. If we are concerned about identity theft and the problems getting it all "fixed," we really need to worry about this type of thing as there is no way of fixing it as you've signed away all of your rights to fix it as it would entail contradicting their careless comments to others which you've said, by signing the document, that you acknowledge you have no right to do.
People that sign this type of document without concern are often the same people who don't bother to read the printed documents they sign when renting cars, obtaining credit cards, buying houses, leasing property, etc., and often get themselves into trouble. The final story is the judge looks at the signed document, usually the full page of fine print on the back which you signed that you read under the larger print on the front, and says you signed it and finds for the other guy.
It's better to be cautious than careless when signing away any rights. There's a big difference between them investigating you as a potential employee and them passing on information to whomever they wish with no liability for what they say.
And, yes, I do base these comments on real life experience. During the course of my working years, I've had first-hand contact with many who have had horror stories to tell.
Glenna