OT - Globalization - Computer Migration - Software Upgrading - Nightmare

Mark & Juanita wrote: ...

That's nothing new at all. Even in the 60's and 70s there were an unending stream of "revolutionary paradigms" under such names as "Management By Objectives" etc., etc, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

GoLive 5 will NOT run on Mac OS 1.5 (aka Leopard) - whch will ONLY run on the new Intel Duo-Core cpus. Nor will GoLive 6 or 7, 7 being the LAST version of GoLive apparently, DreamWeave becoming the replacement for what would've been GoLive 8 & 9. So GoLive is a dead end on the new Mac Mini - replaced by DreamWeaver CS3.

I did download and install ThunderBird on the new Mac Mini - and it appears to only deal with e-mail - but doesn't get me to UseNet. I suspect there's an Outlook Express version that will work on the new Mac Mini - and will provide access to Usenet News Group

- like rec.woodworking. But my experience with OE wasn't very good - can't jump around following a thread - some initiated weeks earlier.

BUT - I did get the Adobe Software I ordered on May 27th - this afternoon, June 3rd.

I started with DreamWeaver - inserted the CD and read the ReadMe.html file - which told me to skip installing DreamWeaver

1.0 on the disk and go download and install the upgrade - DreamWeaver 1.1. Installed the "upgrade" and got zapped in the "registration". THEN I noticed that the CD I got in the mail was already DreamWeaver 1.1. So I tried installing off the CD. And after slogging through "the install Wizard" I get to the "enter your Serial Number" - and find out that Adobe GoLive 5.0, which the guy in Bremerton who took my original order, assured me qualified for the brand new DreamWeaver Upgrade, IS NOT eligible for the "special upgrade" package - and price.

Of course, by the time that discovery was made - it was too late to call Adobe Customer Support.

So I open up the Adobe LightRoom box, pop the CD in the new Mac Mini - install it - open it, register it and start playing with it. In a half an hour I see a lot of possibilities

- and a LOT of screen space taken up my menus. I also haven't found the image processing stuff I use a lot

- curves, layers and text - along with "unsharp". And it's not clear if I can cut a graphic created in say SketchUp and paste it into a new, blank LightRoom image file.

So tomorrow - I'll play The Phone Tree Game - AGAIN - and supect that it'll be an hour or so before I'm informed that they want Mo' Money to be able to actually get a version of DreamWeaver that I can actually use.

Boy am I really looking foreward to the next few days, or weeks - just to get to the foot of the learning curve.

Sigh.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb
2 quick suggestions.. Gimp is available for windows and mac, and if you can get past the relearning what you need, it'll do damn near anything.

The other one is a newsreader I use. Pan. It's available for windows and any open-source os, not sure about mac. It does what I want done and not much else.

Reply to
Tim

the urls. No joy for mac users with pan, but gimp will work. And the nice part of open source programs such as these, is that they'll work as long as there are people left to use them, fix them, and update them for new operating systems. And the interface is not marketing-driven.

Reply to
Tim

Thunderbird will do Usenet news. I haven't used it because I never knew it was there. Open Thunderbird and select File -> New ->

Account Click Usenet Account and go from there. I'm not sure if it does filtering or not. Probably does. I'll mess around with it a bit and let you know. I've been using Thunderbird for my e-mail for years and I think it's a great product. I've been using Pan for news.

Reply to
dayvo

Yes, under Tools menu. Not absolute greatest but work altho not self-training/evolutionary they're fixed rules.

--

Reply to
dpb

What he said, loaded GIMP on SWMBO's iMAC last week -- works well. There are on-line tutorials for GIMP. I don't have any experience with Photoshop so I can't comment on how GIMP compares as far as ease of use to PS. GIMP will most likely do anything you want, I'm just not sure how easy or hard it will be relative to that which you know.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Some credit card providers give you the ability to create a 'single use' credit card number for use online. I just go to the discover card site, and it lets me generate a single use number, with a preset limit, to use for a single online purchase. You get to buy from an online vendor with a number that works for that transaction only.

Reply to
Woodie