OT - Globalization - Computer Migration - Software Upgrading - Nightmare

Page 2 of 2
Thunderbird will do Usenet news. I haven't used it because I never knew it was there. Open Thunderbird and select File -> New -> Account Click Usenet Account and go from there. I'm not sure if it does filtering or not. Probably does. I'll mess around with it a bit and let you know. I've been using Thunderbird for my e-mail for years and I think it's a great product. I've been using Pan for news.
dayvo wrote:

Yes, under Tools menu. Not absolute greatest but work altho not self-training/evolutionary they're fixed rules.
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:57:32 -0700, charlieb wrote:

I went through the same thing with a cell phone Charlie. I finally filed a BBB complaint and that got me to a nice lady in Florida who not only spoke understandable English, she fixed my problem (by shipping a whole new phone) in about five minutes flat.
I agree (kinda) with the responder who suggested open source software. I use Linux for most stuff. But if you aren't familiar with Unixish OSs, it can be a steep learning curve.

Never buy from a manufacturer of software. They will charge List and they know very little about retail sales. You will wait a Long time to get product from them. No matter where you live. Buy from Amazon for less and get it sooner.

snip
I'm assuming a PC. If it is a Mac, I have even less of an clue.

Firefox.
Sketchup free from google, or spend the bucks for the 'Pro' version. They just came out with a $149 renderer.

snip
How about PhotoShop Elements?
Picasa free from google might do cataloging better. I played with the Beta of Lightroom from Adobe and was pretty impressed with it. IIRC, they were looking for a lot more than $199 when it first came out. Worth looking at. The open source GIMP is also worth a look.

Use it until you find something else you want or Really Need. If, as you say, you are doing extremely simple web sites, GoLive should suffice for a long time and Should load on your new system. You're Not getting Vista as an OS, are you?
snip
Every time I buy a new piece of hardware, it takes me Eight Hours Minimum to get everything playing together normally again and I've been working and playing with HW and SW since 1965 (1961 if you count medical instruments). So, Best O' Luck with doing a new system! :)
2 quick suggestions.. Gimp is available for windows and mac, and if you can get past the relearning what you need, it'll do damn near anything.
The other one is a newsreader I use. Pan. It's available for windows and any open-source os, not sure about mac. It does what I want done and not much else.
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:04:45 +0000, Tim wrote:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net / http://pan.rebelbase.com/download /
Forgot the urls. No joy for mac users with pan, but gimp will work. And the nice part of open source programs such as these, is that they'll work as long as there are people left to use them, fix them, and update them for new operating systems. And the interface is not marketing-driven.
Tim wrote:

What he said, loaded GIMP on SWMBO's iMAC last week -- works well. There are on-line tutorials for GIMP. I don't have any experience with Photoshop so I can't comment on how GIMP compares as far as ease of use to PS. GIMP will most likely do anything you want, I'm just not sure how easy or hard it will be relative to that which you know.