OT: Furniture Making

Page 1 of 3
I hate to interrupt the learned discourse of the political scientologists but I came across a worthwhile article in the February edition of Antiques (The Magazine).
http://www.magazineantiques.com /
The article is about the case furniture of Eliphalet Chapin (1741 - 1807), who did most of his work in the area of East Windsor, Connecticut. Gorgeous photographs of Chapin's work, as well as that of others who were influenced by him.
There are detail shots, including one of the underside of a chest of drawers, the caption of which I have excerpted here:
"...The front feet are blind dovetailed together and supported with a rabbeted quarter-round horizontal block inserted in a groove in the top of the ogee foot. The shaped bracket supporting the rear foot is attached with a row of small exposed dovetails. The feet splay out at an angle of about seven degrees, measured from the rear..."
Hot damn! Makes a man want to turn off Norm, Roy and David (the father, son and holy ghost) and high off to the shop for some plain and fancy wood butchering. Turn on a little Bach or Mozart and tune up that dovetail saw until you can get to within a gnat's noogie of the scribe line.
There is a point to this:
Sometimes the best wooddorking magazines ain't wooddorking magazines at all.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled drooling contest of the witless bombastardi.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

Certainly is. Given the poor quality of glues available to him, he had to rely heavily on mechanical joinery.
Probably donkeyed out by an apprentice while the master carved or marketed....

Tom,
[interesting stuff snipped]
I'm probably one of the guilty. But you realize that by making your post OT, a lot of the (non)reading audience didn't see it.
Pity they let a machine instead of a brain do the filtering for them.
Regards,
Wes
Well it does seem off topic these days if you look at all the political posts. Sad but true...
Wes Stewart wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Thanks for the tip!
Barry
[schnipfert]

I find Bach more suitable for heavy post and beam. I do understand the Mozart/dovetail thing though. I will try Mozart next time I cut a dove-tail.. The Who just isn't working for me.
Robatoy wrote:

I think of heavy post and beam as being Wagner's area. :-)

Yeah, especially if you find yourself doing a windmill with a sharp tool in your hand.
Chuck Vance (who is very careful when playing air-guitar in the shop)

...visions of a Daltry microphone toss with a running jig-saw

So I'm the only one listening to Metallica in there?
Personally, I prefer Pink Floyd.
Renata
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:40:45 GMT, "patrick conroy"

"Careful with that axe, Renata."
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:47:21 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:29:50 -0800, Larry Jaques

In the spirit of the lyrics to, "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", :
"... ... ... "
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
Which one is Pink? max

I have to say that Wish you Were Here is my favorite Floyd album. Anyone else have favorites? max

And here I was wondering if anyone would get it if I said that I was thinking of naming my newly acquire axe sharpening file "Eugene"
heh heh heh.
Me, I like Animals; Division Bell, WYWH, DSoTM, ... Atom Heart Mother ...
Parts of others, as well ....
Regards,
JT (There is no dark side of the moon really; matter of fact, it's all dark)

Hey JT, Just remember to be careful with axe and ask Kenneth what the frequency is. (Still trying to figure out what the Pict is saying!) Later, Beej Me, I like 'em all. I am, however, right partial to Meddle and Momentary Lapse of Reason.
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:27:09 +0000 (UTC), the inscrutable John Thomas

I'm especially fond of "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave Gooving with a Pict" myself.
"Ka ka hoom bah, wheeeeeeee eeee"
I am pretty much into all things Floyd. Maybe over the top even. I got into them big time with DSOTM & have ended up buying about 8 or 9 different iterations of that album plus the CD versions. Ran out of copies to buy so got the album cover tattooed on my leg. I think you have to take Floyd as Floyd, and then after the split you have the "Gilmour Floyd" and Waters. Two different styles and you either like it or not. I like both myself, and listen to both probably equally. As far as a favourite album goes, there probably isn't one. What I listen to depends a lot on mood.
P.

Hi Paul, Not to pick Nits, but there is a third iteration of the band. First really, when Syd Barrett was with the band. (Barrett, Waters, Mason, and Wright-Floyd?) Got to thinking about this the other day at work. Funny how things work isn't it? (OWWR) My turn table (Technics SL-B2 sits on a wooden table top over my amp (Kenwood KR6400) beside the CD changer (Pioneer PD-M550). Later, Beej