OT: Electrical Q (120v supply, 240v rated electric baseboard heater)

So most of the heat in my house is 240v electric baseboard heat. Long story short, I come to find out that the dead one in the bathroom was actually 120v. But not before I put a 240v heater in after the old one took a dump.

Now, we get plenty of heat from the heater for the small space (more like a 1/2 bath size but with full amenities) even with the heater turned down to 60 degrees. And with all the electricals going in the bathroom, we don't blow the breaker.

Here's the issue: wife is concerned about issues with the mismatch in voltage. I told her that if the circuit had been 240 and the heater rated for 120, then we would have an issue but that underdriving an electric heater can only lead to less heat.

Anyone detect any safety issues here?

TIA

Sconnie

Reply to
SconnieRoadie

Ok, if the circuit feeding the 120v heater was rated for a 240V heater it probably used smaller gauged wire...as the current needed to do the same work is 1/2 (when at 240v).

If your 120v heater was on a 240v circuit I'm surprised it didn't burn up.

al

Reply to
fallen.morgan (at) gmail.com

You should be getting 1/4 the rated heat from half the voltage. Makes a softer, less dense heat.

Make sure the switch is not in the neutral (240volt heaters require a different switching off position) and the wire size is adequate. USA may not care since they formerly switched neutrals in audio equipment. This won't pass in Canada.

Now, we get plenty of heat from the heater for the small space (more like a 1/2 bath size but with full amenities) even with the heater turned down to 60 degrees. And with all the electricals going in the bathroom, we don't blow the breaker.

Here's the issue: wife is concerned about issues with the mismatch in voltage. I told her that if the circuit had been 240 and the heater rated for 120, then we would have an issue but that underdriving an electric heater can only lead to less heat.

Anyone detect any safety issues here?

TIA

Sconnie

Reply to