OT: Dave made me do it, folks...

Dave in Fairfax demanded that I post this here. So here:

Nooo, you didn't. They don't usually exhibit that sort of > behavior. What cuased this?

Well let me back up and tell the story then, by all means. I like stories. :)

Once upon a time, there was a '79 Pontiac Phoenix with a 305 V8. The Phoenix was mighty and powerful, and it had a strong thrum, a powerful burble, and a

60:40 metal to Bondo ratio. It was a masterpiece of mechanical engineering, and a true testament to the fine art of Bondo sculpture, all rolled into one.

Then one day, the mighty Phoenix refused to start. It seemed to be some kind of carbie problem. Ye olde Phoenix owner bought a carbie rebuild kit, and a junkyard carbie to put it on, wisely leaving the original carbie off to the side, just in case.

He rebuild ye olde carbie with mighty care, affixed it once more to ye olde intake manifold, and the mighty Phoenix still failed to start. Further investigation of the problem with the aircleaner off lead to the discovery that the mighty Phoenix was stuffed up about its head, and it kept blowing its nose, shooting a jet of gas out the throttle plate whenever the engine was cranking. Oops.

So Dad and I pulled everything down to get to the timing chain, figuring it had jumped a tooth. It had indeed. The nylon-covered aluminum gear had revolved many millions of times about its axis, and the weight of the world on its shoulders grew wearying, and it collapsed under the pressure. The hook-shaped nubbins of teeth finally stopped being sufficient--especially along one spot of the gear, where the engine probably came to rest more often than not when shut off--to guide the mighty Metallic Serpent of Timing on a straight and true course. This was probably exacerbated by who knows how many years of driving the mighty beast without an air cleaner. (It had no air cleaner when I bought it. Oops.)

So we swapped out the gears and put a new chain on it. The real fun bit was the cover. It had a lot of crusty black s**te inside, and ye olde Beast Master spent a good hour or two in diligent cleaning of this s**te, and the scraping of the gaskette residue. Only when I got to the last small section of s**te did I finally discover the hole in the cover. Urk!

It was impossible to procure a replacement of similar type on such short notice (on Sunday) so the mighty Phoenix, leaker of oil and other liquid exudations, gunk encrustifier of metal, wound up with a chrome timing cover that would be seen only briefly.

Put it all back together, fire it up, and it was running about 5,000 RPM in Park. Stupid me says "Hey, I can slow it down with the engine." So I put it in Reverse with the engine spinning faster than a Tijuana hooker's nipple tassles. Oh to be a dumbass kid again.

After we got the car back out of the ditch, I wisely threw away the carbie I had just rebuilt,and restored the original one to its rightful place.

All was good with the world.

Until the clang clang clang sound started. Stay tuned to this channel for Takes of the Flying Flywheel, also known as Flywheel Near Missiles coming soon.

(Actually, not. But all but one bolt had worked to where it was less than finger tight. It was a real oh shit moment reaching up in there and discovering the bolts holding my flywheel on were that loose! It chewed the hell out of the flywheel banging the teeth on the starter housing. I didn't lose the flywheel, but it never did quite act like the same car after all that happened. I ultimately passed it along to the next kid. I saw it the other day, an even greater work of the Bondo master's art, and evidently still running. I wonder if they put a new engine and tranny in it after all that though. :)

Reply to
Silvan

ZZzzzz. Way off topic. Way too long. We're gonna kill Dave.

Reply to
Bob

Ya gots no sense of humor. It was supposed to be OT, and funny if you work on cars. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Amen to that. Reminds me of the time my ex (before we were married even) bought a used '55 Volvo from a guy with a DA haircut and a black leather jacket with an eagle on the back. A stocker with a four tiered pulley on the crank. With only one tier used in stocker form. Dumped bearing bits into the pan one night. Same night the bolts on the drive shaft came loose when trying to tow it home. Lotsa finger tight bolts on that engine. Hope that when that guy dies, his wanger is eternally at the mercy of a slop-rebuild-and-sell crusher. Married her anyway. Maybe I should take more notice of possible omens.

mahalo, jo4hn p.s.hope some of you are still awake.

Reply to
jo4hn

I hope you cleaned the chips and debris out of the oil pan as well or we will be reading -

"I was merrily speeding down the Interstate when the Mighty Phoenix wheezed and suddenly stopped dead"

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

snip

I'm glad somebody else enjoyed it. It reminded me of why I preferred to hire girl mechanics. The guys just didn't pay as much attention to detail. Like that bunch on TV that can't get the distributor in straight, or get the firing order right. Hollywood is about the right name for that one. My wife left the room after I started talking to the TV.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax