OT: Cleaning UPS Tape glue...?

Howdy,

I managed to get a tool gummed up with the glue from clear packing tape (UPS Tape).

I've tried the common solvents I have around the shop, but to no avail.

Any ideas for cleaning this stuff off of steel...?

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

Goo-Be-Gone.

Reply to
Nova

Did you try both mineral spirits and acetone (no, not at the same time!)? There's also a commercial product called "Goo Gone" that might help. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Paint thinner, acetone, lacquer thinner, trichloroethane, naphtha, xylene...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've had good luck with naphtha (aka white gas aka coleman fuel).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Reply to
Mr. G D Geen

Thanks to all...,

Reply to
Kenneth

Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol. Same stuff as ordinary rubbing alcohol except not diluted with water. You can buy anhydrous isopropyl at an ordinary drug store: just ask for it at the pharmacy counter.

This is the only thing I use to remove old label gum, most other adhesives, and permanent marker inks such as Sharpie. It is more effective than xylene.

Una

Reply to
Una

Hello Kenneth,

One product that is often on hand and works for most label and tape adhesives is lighter fluid. It is probably made of naphta (which was in the list of suggested products that Doug Miller posted).

Also, most oils, such as baby's oil, motor oil, etc. will soften the adhesive and keep it from sticking back to the object. You just rub the glue out with a little oil. If you use baby's oil, cleaning up the oil afterwards is easy with warm water and dish detergent.

Good luck!

Andre

Reply to
andypack

I'll second or third the lighter fluid suggestion. It will also remove the sticky stuff when changing the scale on your Bies fence rail...without removing the paint.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Permatex spray on gasket remover will melt anything, don't get it on a painted surface.

CR

Reply to
CR

Reply to
maico

Hello to all,

"Goo Gone" did the deed, and that after naphtha did virtually nothing.

This was tenacious stuff...

Thanks again,

Reply to
Kenneth