OT-Animated CAD and html continued

Ok. This is a continuation to one of my previous posts on how to implement user view control to a 3D-CAD drawing.

Animated gif's seemed to be the easiest and cheapest (free) approach. Link below is what I came up with. This is what I came up with:

let me know how it loads/handles for you. I have DSL and it loads reasonably fast

Thanks in advance for any feedback (design, html, or otherwise)

-Brian

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Try this, done with the free web exporter for Sketchup.

me know if it works in your brower ... it worked fine in Firefox for me.

Reply to
Swingman

Brian

Worked for me in IE 7

It did a little time for the images to load (10 seconds). I have DSL as well

I think there is a way to put all of your images in one file so they load quicker. I have limited web knowledge but IIRC I read about that before. Maybe someone else has heard about it or knows more.

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

Looks OK other than the large number of files which are downloaded. Drawing1.jpg through Drawing34.jpg totaled 7.24 megabytes!

An animated GIF is actually several images stored in one GIF file. FWIW, what you are using is not an animated GIF but rather a Javascript routine which scrolls through cached JPG images. (Your mouse movements scroll through caches images via Javascript.)

Try this: (Only 375k bytes - vector info stored as XML in HTML page) (Requires an eDrawings plug-in download - automatic on IE.)

is similar format should you desire this kind of 3D functionality with low download overheads.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

If you're really feeling froggy with 3D, Look here:

- About Blender

- download (Free) (Available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Solaris, and Irix in both 32 and 64 bit configurations.)

and here:

- X3D
- VRML (deprecated)

All Free! FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:47:15 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

DSL here, reasonably slow. That's an interesting angle you used, too. I want to reach out and catch it from falling as I rotate it to the side view. Har! So, did SketchUp output that anim for you? Cool. I really must start using it.

Dat's some oogly maple, Brian. ;)

Oh, one last thing. I didn't hear any flutes.

P.S: The reason it works better in MS Internet Exploder is because you designed it in MS Page Affront. Simple!

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 04:29:31 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Ditto here. And I think he did use SketchUp. (I peered into his page's PHP and CSS code.)

-- It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Seneca

Used Sketch up to generate the code and substituted the sketchup JPG's with my TurboCad JPGs.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I used sketchup to generate the code and substituted the sketchup files with my own TCAD JPG's.

I know. Cherry looks nicer. Either I cant figure out how to get it to render correctly or its just crappy at wood rendering.

Good one! :^)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -- Seneca

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I'll check that out. Thanks!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yeah. I goofed with the post. I actually have an animated gif also that is 200kb. I like the user interactivity of the JavaScript.

I looked into that. I would prefer something that didn't require visitors to download a plugin. Most people are sketchy about doing that sort of thing and will just leave.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Thanks. I'm going to try and compress each image more. They are JPG's. I think I can get the files much smaller.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Karl,

I used Sketchup to generate the code then I substitued the Sketchup files with TurboCad JPG's. I havent learned how to use Sketchup yet and feel more comfortable with TCAD.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

OK. I was using Firefox the first time I tried and it didnt work. 'Then' I noticed what you wrote about IE .

That is very cool!! Unfortunately I think most will not download the plugin and will leave the page (I could be wrong here).

Thanks again!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Loaded very fast on my DSL and it worked fine in Firefox using Linux OS!

Reply to
evodawg

I've been using TurboCAD for about 10 years and it's almost second nature to me now. I've tried to use Sketchup at least a dozen times over the past year or so, but I always hit something that irks me to no end and I keep going back to TurboCAD.

Reply to
Steve Turner

to me now. =A0I've

t I always hit

IMHO SketchUp is very clunky to use.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Worked fine in IE 8, Safari 4, Google Chrome 3.0, and Firefox 3.5. Worked in Opera 10 but the image noticeably flickered with a different background showing with each image update. I am running WinXP.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Thanks Jim. I reduced the file size of the individual frames so it loads faster.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Looks much smoother in all the browsers. My version of Opera just autoupdated to 10.10 and while it still has an annoying flicker when the image updates, it happens infrequently. It was strange, first I saw it with each update, but after a screen refresh I don't see it much, if at all.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram