OT: Al little

Is California the D.C. of the west coast?

As we all know, government wants to run our lives because those in government are more intelligent than us and we need to be looked after.

I suppose that because some are not so smart these days the California government has mandated a rather generic warning label that seems to appear on most anything that you could purchase. Apparently the government has decided that a one size fits all approach will work for the masses. We certainly can't be bothered with details that might require some of to think and we all know that big government does not want us to think.

So any way, back on point, with much more frequency, I way over here in Texas, am seeing more and more of the warning labels that target the people in California that rely on the government to protect them and do their thinking. IIRC many years back I saw that grilling in your back yard causes cancer. Right there on the charcoal bag was the "generic" warning label pointing out that fact. I always thought that the cigarette warning labels and TV adds for the past umpteen years would be enough indication that breathing in smoke was not good for you. Apparently some did not make the understand that charcoal smoke is probably going to pose the same risk and the government had to step in to help those people make the connection.

So lately with much more frequency I am seeing this same generic warning label on other products which are reaching other parts of the country. I am a bit concerned as to how much the government thinks we are going to swallow. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new lawn spronkler, yep there was the label. In some unidentified manner this lawn sprinkler has been identified as a possible cause of cancer in California. Strange,,,, my new sprinkler is a brightly painted color but certainly does not glow in the dark. Shockingly a few days ago I bought a few sets of brass quick connect and disconnects for my yard sprinklers and hoses. Yup there was the warning label also, might cause cancer in California.

Now to get on topic for this group. As many of you know, I have been hunting and gathering information for a replacement miter gauage for my TS. Oddly I have to rule out several right away because right there on the box is that warning label, may cause cancer in California.

Be careful California, I see in the near future cancer warning signs on street corners reminding you that driving your gasoline powered car is going to cause cancer. Just wait till the government realizes that the electric cars will pose the same hazards as there ise aluminum and brass parts in just about everything being manufactured these days. Don't get me started on the chemicals in those large batteries.

Before this gets totally out of hand, the people of California should require the government to mandate a warning label to be placed on your candidates running for a government office. You know, a warning label to help identify which candidates are going to be harmful or a threat to your health, economy, and or ability to make decisions for your self, etc. There could be countless categories of warning labels.

There could be the "I'ma fast talker that skirts the issues and does not directly answer any question" label.

There could be the "I'ma a shyster that will warn you that when I say I am going to change things all I am really going to change is whose pockets gets filled with your tax dollars" label.

There could be the I'ma no morals adulteress that your children are going to look up to and I am going to let them know that is OK to cheat on my spouse and that trying some AC/DC action in the dark allies is OK too, label.

And there could be the I'ma better than you and deserve a better retirement plan, health plan, and more time off, label.

Do you think those labels would be more helpful?

Reply to
Leon

I live here and the ridiculous borders on insane, no it is insane. The state is controlled by Democrats and that should give you the answer. The biggest problem here is the 2 largest cities control who will win most elections. San Francisco and Los Angeles. Both filled with 100% liberals or Mexicans. The rest of the state pretty much votes Republican but the numbers aren't there to win. Also I've read 6,000 a week are moving or leaving California for greener pastures. Watch out US some that are moving out are moderates and infiltrating the rest of the country with their agenda.

Two of what I think are the most ridiculous legislation in the state. Black Cars, Black Paving Asphalt, and Dark colored Shingles would be outlawed because they would contribute to Global Warming. New Wood Burning Fireplaces in New Homes are now outlawed. Not sure if Natural Gas Logs set up is still legal.

Not sure how much longer I can endure California. The weather is the only thing that keeps me here. Todays high 76

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Hey Leon, you are safe. The labels say it only causes cancer in California. Guess once everything crosses a state line it leaves all the cancer causing agents behind.

Reply to
Roger

To save you from reading this again I will top post

Package of peanuts notes...Open before eating Beer bottle with twist off cap....Remove cap before drinking. Found these in a Consumer Reports magazine. WW

Reply to
WW

I suppose,,, or it could be that the other 49 states would not pitch in to have their state listed on the label. With limited space on the label there could be a bidding war going on to see who gets to be on and who gets left off of the label. Looks like so far the California government has paid top dollar to be on the list... Does that sound about right? ;!)

Reply to
Leon

But do peanuts with beer cause cancer in California?

Reply to
Leon

Only if you read the labels.

Reply to
Sonny

I rather suspect that some in government have concluded that large numbers of us (including some in government) are unable or unwilling to think :-). I come to that conclusion several times a day. I could fill several pages with anecdotes about drivers, retail clerks, reporters, etc..

And yet they encourage those folks to vote. Could it be that they've discovered that stupid voters are easier to manipulate? Naaaah, couldn't be.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That means it could be safe for those NOT in California. It may be the item in conjunction with the faults or the Pacific Ocean. Of course, it may not have been tested to those stringent standards in other areas with moving ground or large bodies of water nearby. Ain't it weird?

Reply to
Joe

On 6/09/11 2:35 PM, Joe

What do you use for a usenet client, it is badly broken. There is no references header, so it always comes in as a new thread.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

YOu know, if there were just a way to remove California as one of the 50 states that make up the United States of America, we would all win. Those in California would not have to deal with the stupidity (conservatism) of the rest of the country and the rest of the country would not have to deal with the insanity that is California.

Then when it became a totally failed state, the rest of the country would not have to bail it out, though we could move in and take it over - just to protect ourselves from the lawlessness in Mexico, you understand.

Deb

wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

------------------------------- Poor baby, must be a slow day.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Maybe it's living in California that causes cancer?

Reply to
Just Wondering

Good idea but, as most politicians are to slimy to get anything to stick, a tattoo would be the only way. No electric tattoo guns. Pointy stick (wood working content) and bottle of ink.

Reply to
CW

Ever see "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"? There's a nice scene of a bureaucrat experiencing truth in labelling.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You know when you don't expose yourself to dirt, germs, etc your immune system weakens. Perhaps all those laws to clean this that and the other has left the population vulnerable to everything.

Reply to
Leon

I was picturing a sign hanging aroudn their necks.

Reply to
Leon

No need to poor baby me, I was just wondering how you guys get anything done with all the "mother may I" laws.

Reply to
Leon

You would have benefited from reading up on these labels before speculating about them. It was the *voters* of Calif. who approved Prop. 65 which seeks to keep toxic chemicals out of the state's water supply and prevent exposure to such chemicals by consumers without fair warning (thus the warning labels).

Prop. 65 has actually been quite successful in causing mfg. to reformulate products to get rid of the dangerous chemicals or to otherwise keep consumers from coming into contract with them. On the other hand the warning labels are so common that they have tended to fade into the background and be ignored, and as always some scumbag lawyers have found ways to milk the situation by filing lawsuits supposedly on behalf of clients but really to soak up legal fees for the lawyers.

However you are free to ignore any and all warning labels if you please, so if you want to use toluene for mouthwash and take all the safety guards off your power tools that is your right--good luck.

Reply to
DGDevin

---------------------------- Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

It's amazing how California keeps being the 6th-8th economy in the world while within the rules for everybody's benefit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett