OT: Al little

Page 1 of 4
Is California the D.C. of the west coast?
As we all know, government wants to run our lives because those in government are more intelligent than us and we need to be looked after.
I suppose that because some are not so smart these days the California government has mandated a rather generic warning label that seems to appear on most anything that you could purchase. Apparently the government has decided that a one size fits all approach will work for the masses. We certainly can't be bothered with details that might require some of to think and we all know that big government does not want us to think.
So any way, back on point, with much more frequency, I way over here in Texas, am seeing more and more of the warning labels that target the people in California that rely on the government to protect them and do their thinking. IIRC many years back I saw that grilling in your back yard causes cancer. Right there on the charcoal bag was the "generic" warning label pointing out that fact. I always thought that the cigarette warning labels and TV adds for the past umpteen years would be enough indication that breathing in smoke was not good for you. Apparently some did not make the understand that charcoal smoke is probably going to pose the same risk and the government had to step in to help those people make the connection.
So lately with much more frequency I am seeing this same generic warning label on other products which are reaching other parts of the country. I am a bit concerned as to how much the government thinks we are going to swallow. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new lawn spronkler, yep there was the label. In some unidentified manner this lawn sprinkler has been identified as a possible cause of cancer in California. Strange,,,, my new sprinkler is a brightly painted color but certainly does not glow in the dark. Shockingly a few days ago I bought a few sets of brass quick connect and disconnects for my yard sprinklers and hoses. Yup there was the warning label also, might cause cancer in California.
Now to get on topic for this group. As many of you know, I have been hunting and gathering information for a replacement miter gauage for my TS. Oddly I have to rule out several right away because right there on the box is that warning label, may cause cancer in California.
Be careful California, I see in the near future cancer warning signs on street corners reminding you that driving your gasoline powered car is going to cause cancer. Just wait till the government realizes that the electric cars will pose the same hazards as there ise aluminum and brass parts in just about everything being manufactured these days. Don't get me started on the chemicals in those large batteries.
Before this gets totally out of hand, the people of California should require the government to mandate a warning label to be placed on your candidates running for a government office. You know, a warning label to help identify which candidates are going to be harmful or a threat to your health, economy, and or ability to make decisions for your self, etc. There could be countless categories of warning labels.
There could be the "I'ma fast talker that skirts the issues and does not directly answer any question" label.
There could be the "I'ma a shyster that will warn you that when I say I am going to change things all I am really going to change is whose pockets gets filled with your tax dollars" label.
There could be the I'ma no morals adulteress that your children are going to look up to and I am going to let them know that is OK to cheat on my spouse and that trying some AC/DC action in the dark allies is OK too, label.
And there could be the I'ma better than you and deserve a better retirement plan, health plan, and more time off, label.
Do you think those labels would be more helpful?
Leon wrote:

I live here and the ridiculous borders on insane, no it is insane. The state is controlled by Democrats and that should give you the answer. The biggest problem here is the 2 largest cities control who will win most elections. San Francisco and Los Angeles. Both filled with 100% liberals or Mexicans. The rest of the state pretty much votes Republican but the numbers aren't there to win. Also I've read 6,000 a week are moving or leaving California for greener pastures. Watch out US some that are moving out are moderates and infiltrating the rest of the country with their agenda.
Two of what I think are the most ridiculous legislation in the state. Black Cars, Black Paving Asphalt, and Dark colored Shingles would be outlawed because they would contribute to Global Warming. New Wood Burning Fireplaces in New Homes are now outlawed. Not sure if Natural Gas Logs set up is still legal.
Not sure how much longer I can endure California. The weather is the only thing that keeps me here. Todays high 76
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 6/9/2011 8:36 AM, Leon wrote:

Hey Leon, you are safe. The labels say it only causes cancer in California. Guess once everything crosses a state line it leaves all the cancer causing agents behind.
On 6/9/2011 10:27 AM, Roger wrote:

I suppose,,, or it could be that the other 49 states would not pitch in to have their state listed on the label. With limited space on the label there could be a bidding war going on to see who gets to be on and who gets left off of the label. Looks like so far the California government has paid top dollar to be on the list... Does that sound about right? ;!)
On 6/9/2011 9:27 AM, Roger wrote:

Maybe it's living in California that causes cancer?
On 6/9/2011 4:53 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

You know when you don't expose yourself to dirt, germs, etc your immune system weakens. Perhaps all those laws to clean this that and the other has left the population vulnerable to everything.
Just Wondering wrote the following:

Too much sun causes cancer.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

==================== ...and too little sun causes cancer statistics to increase dramatically due to Vit D3 deficiency. The sun exposure was phoney hype based on invalid conclusions back in the 60s. Mind you burning the crap out of your skin can cause cancer (increase chances)
--
Eric

Eric wrote the following:

I take a multi vitamin tablet daily I don't try to get a tan in the Summer. Actually, I cover up in the Summer, including a hat, unless swimming, where I only wear a Tee shirt and swim trunks. Although I am of Northern European descent (Northern Ireland and Germany), my skin is darker year round than is my wife's skin, who is of Southern European descent, i.e. Italian, including part Sicilian.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:26:23 -0400, willshak wrote:

<snip>
Is it necessary to repeat a long post to add a short comment? Learn to snip, please,

Larry Blanchard wrote the following:

Is this OK for you?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

(Psst! Please mention that to Leon and Toy while you're at it.)
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
Bullstein you farging icehole.... I snip LOTS...
Robatoy wrote the following:

Why you miserable cork-soaker!
Bill In Hamptonburgh, NY In the original Orange County. Est. 1683 To email, remove the double zeroes after @

***MORONEY DEPORTED TO SWEDEN, SAYS HE'S NOT FROM THERE!!***
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:11:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Sure, except for those 250 line posts with the 1 line replies last week. You and Leon traded those from 80 on up to nearly 300 lines with nary a snip. Pissed off us kings, it did.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Wellll, maybe if you got your neighbours to stay off the party line while doing that 300 baud dial-up download of my enormous posts...*snarf, chortle, guffaw*
On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 07:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

300, don't I -wish- it were that fast? Nah, it's the continual need to scroll down, page after page, for the one-liners which irks one.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer
On 6/10/2011 6:50 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

First you bitch at top posters cause you want to read what you are replying to then you bitch cause I don't snip. Hell I wrote the original post.

Ah, you betcha!

See? It's all your fault in the first place.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer