OT: Advertising

Page 1 of 2
It occurred to me that "newsgroup reading" is one of the (few) things I do in my spare time where I am not advertised at (at least not directly).
On the radio in the car--floods almost every channel!
On sports--it's inseparable, and that's not including the commercials!
On most web pages--it's ubiquitous. They are becoming more "in your face" all the time. Plenty of spam.
In the news--virtually everyone who has anything to say has a vested-interest (and there are a lot of people being downright "deceptive" in the business news).
Many of the OTA television broadcasts are religious (which I have no problem with--except when I feel someone is trying to "sell me something").
I"m sure I've left out PLENTY. Thank goodness for peace from all this--wherever you can find it! Maybe that's one of the nice features of "work"! : )
Gas prices (Lew) don't bother me as much as the cumulative effect from all of the above. I like to think I "own" my thoughts--but that ain't an easy game to play these days (think about it)!
I hope this helps to explain the source of my first post on this topic.
Bill
On 10/31/2013 9:39 PM, Bill wrote:

Foe the past four years I've has Sirius/XM in my cars. I'd never go back to regular OTA and the commercials again. I spend enough time in the car to justify the cost.

I have had satellite radio in two cars in the last 10 years. I think a dollar or two a month would be a good deal for us... We prefer pandora which costs nothing with the occasional ad.. I can't remember the last time I heard an ad on pandora. What I really like about pandora is being able to tweak the station and to skip a song if I don't like it.

----------------------------------------------------------- I have three (3) NPR stations programmed into the buttons.
Which ever one that is NOT begging for money, I listen to that day.
Lew

I have Sirius in my two vehicles, at least for now. It's free for a while longer and I'll probably renew it for my wife's car. I hate switching stations constantly when driving long distances. We usually listen to a book, though. The biggest drawback of Sirius/XM (Sirius is worse) is that the music is compressed to shit. Not so bad for rock (it's pre-compressed) but horrible for other genre.

Pandora over cell is way too expensive. You can really eat up GB when streaming anything. There are also too many dead zones. Listen to Internet radio at home. It's free and quite good. The appliances are cheap, now, too.

I have unlimited data.

Until you hit the brick wall. Even those plans are going the way of the DoDo. Streaming data is the cell companies worst nightmare. Once that changes, all sorts of new gadgets are going to crop up. Say goodbye to cable TV and Internet. There just isn't the bandwidth available for it, though.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Please explain. Your post piques my interest, but I don't understand it.
Bill

I can't even pretend to imagine all of the possibilities but even small kids carry iPads around these days. The problem is getting information to the tablet. WiFi doesn't cut it for a truly mobile device. Now take that into a car. DVDs are dead but video isn't. Cell is the perfect way to "broadcast" into cars (the US digital broadcast standards don't work). Lotsa stuff there. Big bux being spent in this area but the big problem is the infrastructure.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Thanks. G4 is the new "mobile way" (at least according to Amazon's Kindle device), is it not. Doesn't that make the most sense?
Bill wrote:

Oops, the protocols should be 3G and 4G, I think, not G4!

Now you tell me. I just went out and bought a new G4 phone this afternoon. The guy told me to come back and he'll give me a 50% trade in credit when the G5 comes out next week.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I may need to take the rest of the day off to sort that one out! %-)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------- And then there are people like me.
When I came to SoCal in 1990, thought about getting a cell; however, they were half the size of the car, req'd antenna installation, had holes in the coverage just where I needed it most, and were EXPENSIVE.
20+ years they are still expensive and I've come to the conclusion that the last thing I need is an electronic nursemaid.
Call my office, leave a message, I'll try to get back to you.
Today, high tech for me is a MagicJack.
$20/year for a phone is my speed these days.
Lew
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:47:11 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

We're not quite that bad. We've got one of the prepaid phones, roughly $100 a year to get minutes that roll over. We carry it for emergencies while traveling and when one of us goes somewhere without the other. We have on occasion used up some of the minutes when we have to call long distance that has no toll free number.
Other than that it stays turned off. I don't want to be always reachable!
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Larry Blanchard" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- The next time I need to travel, have given some thought to buying a "burn phone".
These days a cell has almost become a necessity if you travel.
Will just wait until the need arises.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ Absolutely not. Like I said the last thing I need is an electronic nursemaid. ------------------------------------------------------------ "Mike Marlow" wrote: