order grizzly from Amazon?

Page 2 of 3
To answer your first question, I don't see how ordering from Amazon would provide more protection other than Amazon "could" put pressure on Grizzly if something went wrong, but I doubt they would. In response to your second question, the reason to order from Amazon and not Grizzly is I have Amazon stock, but I don't have stock in Grizzly. You do want to help out a fellow woodworker, don't you...
-- Larry C in Auburn WA

: To answer your first question, I don't see how ordering from Amazon : would provide more protection other than Amazon "could" put pressure on : Grizzly if something went wrong, but I doubt they would. In response to : your second question, the reason to order from Amazon and not Grizzly is : I have Amazon stock, but I don't have stock in Grizzly. You do want to : help out a fellow woodworker, don't you... :
Only if you use SBC telephone service or products made by Honeywell, or bank with Citibank.....

You think so? Amazon has gone from 10 to 43 in two years and has lots of upside potential. What do you suggest Montyhp as a reasonably low risk investment that has done better over that time and will continue to do so?
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Montyhp" <montyhp at yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:00:57 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

What was it in 1999?
I seem to remember Amazon.com selling in the hundreds.
Barry
I didn't say I bought it in 1999 though and most stocks are seriously depressed from 1999. Owning a volatile stock carries more risk, but also more potential gain. That's a personal choice as to how much risk one is willing to take so it's tough to take sides on which is "right". My question was to Montyhp though who seemed to think I was a sucker for owning Amazon stock. I was curious what he thought was better. I'm still curious.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"B a r r y" <Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Chill, dude. A little tongue in cheek. I am a little bit tech heavy too. I dollar cost average into broad markets, but then, I have a fairly long time horizon. Most of my recent investments have been in big iron;-}
Montyhp
wrote:

of
I'm cool but the drive-by "sucker" statement made me wonder why you felt that way. It's been a good performer the last year so I figured you must have a reason why you think it's poor stock to own. Even though I lost mucho during the market downturn I still favor stocks with lots of potential (higher risk). But hey, there are no fouls in a newsgroup so I'm fine, sorry if my last note didn't come across that way.
-- Larry C in Auburn WA "Montyhp" <montyhp at yahoo.com> wrote in message wrote:

lots
Congrats on 10 to 43 in 2 years. That is about as far from low risk as you can get.
Montyhp

me
quality

Correct on the first point; probably incorrect as to their upside potential. If you look at their sales expectations, etc. as compared to the stock price, you'll see that the current stock price relfects almost insanely optimistic future forecasts. That's not usually the sign of a stock with lots of upside potential.
There's an interesting recent article on Amazon's stock on the Motley Fool website; you might want to have a look. I think that even if you assume Amazon will continue to be successful (and there's plenty of good reason to think that), their stock is still way overvalued by most measures.
PQ

I don't know squat about the jointer but I do know about Amazon.com shipping: it sucks.
I ordered a Unisaw in January '04 from Amazon.com because the price was slightly cheaper than other places and the shipping was free and I previously had been impressed with how quickly Amazon.com could get items delivered.
The saw was shipped motor freight. The shipping company called me a couple of days before delivery to schedule the delivery. They also wanted to make sure I could get the "package" off of the back of the truck. Huh? They want an item that weighed 500lbs that was being delivered to a residence to be pulled off of the back of the truck. Right. Let me hook up the fork lift attachment to my lawn tractor and I'll get right on it.
The shipping company suggested that I contact Amazon.com to arrange for lift-gate delivery. Through email (hard to find a phone number to talk to someone at Amazon.com) the customer service reps at Amazon.com knew nothing about this delivery method. After exchanging numerous (increasingly angry) emails with Amazon.com I called the shipping company back. They said that it was going to be $92 for lift-gate delivery if I paid for it myself. But Amazon.com had a special rate of $25 and they didn't understand why Amazon.com was being so difficult. (The folks at the shipping company were very helpful)
Armed with this new information I went back to Amazon.com by phone (the shipping company gave me the super secret phone number) and finally got them to understand what was needed and that I was willing to pay the extra $25.
After that everything was fine. I will NOT use Amazon.com for any large items. Their customer service was horrible as well as being clueless. But they are great for books and small items. I have had numerous motor freight deliveries made to my house and all of them (except this one) were curb side and I never had to arrange for lift-gate service.
--
Jim

So then why don't you post the super secret phone number? This way we an call when we have issues....

Geez, I thought you guys new everything and already knew the phone number! <g>
I don't have it any more. Besides, they probably changed it once they found out that a customer knows it. -- Jim
It couldn't be to secret. A friend of mine worked at an Amazon call center up until a couple of weeks ago. They were plenty busy.

an

If you try to find a customer service phone number on their web site it is hard to do. They seem to want all correspondence by email. -- Jim
You're right. Not thinking I guess. He was doing email. Yes, he did say that the company wanted to keep everything to email.

center
snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (jegan) wrote in message >

I've never ordered anything large from Amazon but many smaller orders have always been delivered without any problems.

This is pretty standard proceedure. Most delivery trucks don't have lift gates because they deliver to businesses that *do* have forklifts. I've worked in the trucking/delivery business and in the shipping and receiving business and this is the way it is. For the majority of their deliveries a lift gate is useless and some liftgates actually get in the way of a forklift. How many 500LB packages do most trucks deliver to private residences? Not many. They charge extra because it costs extra to schedule a truck with a liftgate. The driver will sometimes have to do more work too. Ever try to maneuver a heavy pallet with a pallet jack on an uneven liftgate? If the gate isn't very flat it sucks. I've done it many times and the extra charge is there for a good reason.

$92 is way more than I've ever paid or charged. $25 to $50 is more like it but I guess it depends on the company. If the trucking company doesn't have a local terminal then the long haul truck has to have a lift gate or they have to arrange with a local company to deliver it to your house from their loading dock. That might explain the $92 extra charge. Or, the trucking company is a crook...

Would you mind posting that "super secret" phone number, please???

I've never had a problem that Amazon didn't handle immediately. Ok, so I've only had one problem but it was handled right away. Some motor carriers won't charge for a lift gate if they use them a lot. But when I worked for a large plumbing and HVAC supply company very few of the trucks that delivered to us had lift gates and I'd see many of them on my route delivering to private residences. Heave Ho!!!
Bruce Redding, Ca.
I recently got a Jet 14" drill press from Amazon, and the semi driver unloaded it into the driveway. he would have rolled it to the shop had the way been clear....all with the Free Shipping, too...
david
I have had a number of heavy items shipped to my house by motor freight. The Unisaw was the only time I have ever had to specifically get involved and request lift-gate delivery. Every other time it was automatic. The shipper that brought my saw was used one time before without any problem.
My gripe with Amazon.com is that their customer service department wouldn't acknowledge that they could even arrange for lift-gate service. I had to communicate with them six times before I could get them to help resolve the issue.
This is the only time I have had a problem with their service. I ordered my saw from them primarily because of the high quality service that I had received in the past. I will not use Amazon.com for any large items like this again.
After my problem with Amazon.com I called woodworker.com and asked how they would ship a Unisaw. The wonderful and very helpful woman I talked to explained that they ALWAYS deliver heavy items as lift-gate deliveries and the shipping cost was no different. -- Jim
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Bruce) wrote in message (jegan) wrote in message >

Same price with shipping and/or taxes? Is Amazon giving any special deals with this? If all other things are equal, I'd probably get it from Grizzly.