order grizzly from Amazon?

Page 1 of 3
I am interested in the Grizzly G0500 8" Long Bed Jointer. It is the same price from Grizzly or Amazon...Would ordering from Amazon give me an extra measure of protection for such things as shipping or quality disputes? Any reason to prefer one way over the other?
thanks,
david
One more layer of bureaucracy? Good? You in government?
Another voicemail jail, another ignoramus who can say (legitimately) "I don't know about that...."

I half way expected to see "free super saver shipping", but no such luck. I have to agree, no advantage here. Deal directly with Grizzly.
Montyhp

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:45:35 -0500, Montyhp wrote:

Yup. I once ordered some odds-n-ends from Griz via Amazon. Seemed to take a day or two simply for the order to get relayed from Amazon to Griz. Nothing bad happened, I received the order OK. But there was no advantage either.
--
Joe Wells

When I bought my Grizzly drill press I decided to just order directly from Grizzly rather than going through Amazon.com. In addition to avoiding an unnecessary layer of bureaucracy, I actually got a cheaper shipping price through Grizzly, though it was just a temporary special.
Last week I placed an order from Grizzly via Amazon. I placed the order late Tuesday morning and I had the order on my doorstep Thursday afternoon. One of the items I ordered was a can of some spray dry-lube that I was very disatisfied with. I called Grizzly on Monday and they agreed to refund my money and told me not to bother sending the can back. This morning I received an email from Amazon stating that they'd refunded the money to my credit card. The order came from over 800 miles away and got here in 3 days from the time I placed the order with standard UPS shipping. How much faster should they be? They refunded my money and didn't make me hassle with returning the product. (Ok, what are they gonna do with the crappy spray lube?) I didn't see any actual *advantage* from ordering through Amazon except that I was already on their website searching for some products and I didn't have to go to Grizzly's website. I don't like trying to navigate Grizzly's site anyway. I've had similar experiences with regards to fast service when ordering from other companies via Amazon.
Bruce Redding, Ca.

I would get the 65" (G1018HW) vs the 75". All they do is give you 2 5" casts to screw on the the ends of the 65" and I had to have 3 sets of casts sent before I got some that lined up.
Also, they forgot to tap the screw holes and give me the screws.
My 2 cents,
Just Dave

thanks for the reply...the G0500 also has a 2 HP motor instead of 1 1/2, and 4 blades instead of three in the cutterhead. how much of an advantage do you think that would be?
This is my first jointer purchase...
david
Just Dave wrote:

the extra blade will just about use up the extra HP, so the load on the motor will be more or less the same. you should get a slightly better cut and have a slightly more complex knife setting experience.
I'd say go for it.

Wouldn't an extra blade *reduce* the load? Only one cutter is in contact with the wood at any given time, so the determining factor is the size of the cut. With 4 cutters each one is taking a smaller bite (assuming same rate of feed and depth of cut) so should require less power to remove the same total amount of wood.
Just my wild guesswork, but I can't see how a 4 knife cutterhead could possibly require more power than a 3 knife head.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
extra blade would mean extra weight though meaning more power to spin the blade. then again the extra weight (momentum) would mean that it would be harder to bog down. interesting thoughts
--
Young Carpenter

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:12:46 -0800, Tim Douglass

each tooth needs muscle behind it to do "work"- removing wood. having more cutters places them closer together, which gives a smoother surface, but also means more work being done per revolution, which means you need more horsepower to maintain the same feed rate.     Bridger

No. Assuming the same cutterhead RPM and table offset are the same. Each knife (on a 4-cutterhead jointer) takes 3/4 if the "bite" if the 3-cutterhead knife.
3/4*bite * 4bites/t = 1bite * 3 bites/t
Since the bites are smaller (shallower) the finish would be smoother. Personally I'm not convinced that it's really relevant. To get a smooth surface, increase t (slow down your feed rate) on the last pass.
Alternatively you could set your infeed table a bit higher for the last pass, but just controlling the feed rate on the last pass is alot less fuss.
-Steve
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:14:55 -0500, "Stephen M"

got to thinking more and of course you're right.
for a given depth of cut the amount of work done at a given feed rate is the same. (well, almost. we'll ignore the wood not removed in the high points of the scallops) the finish will be smoother and the load on the motor will be more evenly distributed through the revolution.
if we take this thought experiment to an extreme and consider a cutter head with say 50 knives- assume it somehow can eject it's chips just fine- intuition says that having so many blades engaged at once is going to require more horsepower no matter how small a cut each is taking.
    Bridger

If you reach a point where more than one cutter at a time is in contact with the wood you will see an increase in power requirement, but on a jointer you would need to get to a *lot* of blades to reach that point. Assume a 4" dia. cutterhead and a 1/8" cut, how many cutters would it take to get even two of them in contact with the wood simultaneously?
Note that spiral head jointers and planers actually *do* require more power because there are cutters constantly in contact with the wood.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
I bought the Grizzly G0500 and had no such problems. It works like a champ and I really like it. I would buy it again!
-Mike

Whew!! Definitely wouldn't do that (order from Amazon). I've had to call both Grizzly and Amazon before for help. Grizzly satisfactorily helped me (wrong motor on my bandsaw, after spending an hour with me to try and see if it would work they finally sent me a new one). Amazon on the other hand basically told me to stick my complaint where the sun don't shine (well, that's how I felt anyway -- in any case they didn't help me, wouldn't refund my money, and said too bad).
I still order from both companies, but from Amazon I only order stuff that I won't go crazy over if it's not right (i.e. < $100 purchases only) because I don't expect any help at all.
My 2cents.
Mike

David, Might be worth mentioning that Amazon takes 8% off the sell price as well. (might be a different negotiation % with Grizzly).
Roger

Roger,
Do you mean that Amazon gets an 8% commission on the sale? Almost sounds like you saying that Amazon gives an 8% discount on the sale.
I just purchased a Grizzly GW1018HW after comparison, I decided to order direct from Grizzly. Didn't see any advantage of getting Amazon in the middle. I didn't think to ask for a discount because they weren't having to give up the 8% to Amazon.
BTW, the GW1018HW is a nice machine. I've had a little trouble aligning and tensioning the belts. But the machine runs well and gives good cuts.
Darrell

In my opinion, ordering from Amazon adds no added value protection regarding the build quality or shipping. Shipping problems are passed to the shipper. Quality problems are passed to the manufacturer. Amazon does a good job of arranging returns - not the solution you want for a missing part or poor quality part. You have to go back to Grizzly for that. Price and availability are the only reasons to go with Amazon. I find that I buy less and less from them.
Bob