Opinions Welcome: Ridgid Factory-Reconditioned 3/8 HP Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander

Ridgid is selling factory reconditioned sanders for $170 and only $7 shipping. If I'm ever going to buy one, I don't think I'll come up with a better deal than this.
Any opinions about factory reconditioned stuff and/or this sander in particular?
http://www.cpoprotools.com/products/zreb4424.html
In article <2a6e90dc-56a3-4818-a0e7-6193a0c888f6

Can't comment on the reconditioned part, but the tool itself is very nice. I've seldom had to put the spindle on it, the oscillating belt works for just about everything that I've needed to sand.
On 12/20/2010 5:12 PM, Kimosabe wrote:

Don't know about the reconditioning aspect, but I have that sander and it works great for what it does. Plenty of power, and the dust collection feature does a good job.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I have had one in service for close to 3 years and it gets lots of hard use with trimming solid surface strips etc.
The 'reconditioned' part is often part of a work-around to anti- dumping legislation. The unit is likely brand new.
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:01:28 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

And if not:
I once had a factory rep for a major tool manufacturer tell me he's rather buy reconditioned. According to him, the repair techs often don't know what's wrong with the returned unit so they go through it very carefully. A much more thorough inspection than is done on the assembly line for new units.
And no, he wasn't trying to sell me anything - we were just talking.

In article

I bought this new a few years ago at the local Borg for under 100 Canuckbux.
It sees regular use, but I wouldn't have dropped $170 on it.

As for reconditioned tools, been there done that. I would continue to buy more reconditioned product as needed. Reconditioned is much better due to the detailed testing on more parts.
A product can be returned for many reasons. Regardless, it is sent back and completely rebuilt with new and tested parts, then finally tested as a whole. Reconditioned products have better quality control than assembly line product. Many recons last longer than non-recons.
IMO, being this is a reliable tool in general, then adding the recon status, I say go for it.
On 12/20/2010 3:12 PM, Kimosabe wrote:

I have one and it is very useful.
It lists for $199 at Home Depot (not 239 like CPO claims).
I bought mine new last year on sale for $119 (I think it was but I am not sure and I cannot verify the price right now).
Dan

When I bought mine, it did list for $239. It was a different color than the orange. Maybe came from a different part of China.
It is not as good as some of the more expensive single purpose spindle sanders or belt sander, but for my needs, it does a good job at reasonable cost. I'd buy it again.

I'm not sure that the price of $170US is all that great a deal/ bargain. If you can call a local HD and ask what the retail price is, do that before you jump in it.
I bought one of their (13"?) planers years ago for $199US and it is working for me still. no issues.

Thanks for the advice. HD wants $199 plus $17 shipping. They say they're marking it down from $249. With the difference in shipping, the original offer saves about $40. I think I'll go with that considering all the positive comments about reconditioned stuff.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100061671/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Thanx to all.
Somebody wrote:

---------------------------------- <toolsforless.com> is a good online comparison site for tools.