Opinions Welcome: Ridgid Factory-Reconditioned 3/8 HP Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander

Ridgid is selling factory reconditioned sanders for $170 and only $7 shipping. If I'm ever going to buy one, I don't think I'll come up with a better deal than this.

Any opinions about factory reconditioned stuff and/or this sander in particular?

Kimosabe

nice. I've seldom had to put the spindle on it, the oscillating belt works for just about everything that I've needed to sand.

Reply to
J. Clarke

great for what it does. Plenty of power, and the dust collection feature does a good job.

Reply to
Steve Turner

hard use with trimming solid surface strips etc.

The 'reconditioned' part is often part of a work-around to anti- dumping legislation. The unit is likely brand new.

Reply to
Robatoy

Canuckbux.

It sees regular use, but I wouldn't have dropped $170 on it.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

more reconditioned product as needed. Reconditioned is much better due to the detailed testing on more parts.

A product can be returned for many reasons. Regardless, it is sent back and completely rebuilt with new and tested parts, then finally tested as a whole. Reconditioned products have better quality control than assembly line product. Many recons last longer than non-recons.

IMO, being this is a reliable tool in general, then adding the recon status, I say go for it.

Reply to
SBH

And if not:

I once had a factory rep for a major tool manufacturer tell me he's rather buy reconditioned. According to him, the repair techs often don't know what's wrong with the returned unit so they go through it very carefully. A much more thorough inspection than is done on the assembly line for new units.

And no, he wasn't trying to sell me anything - we were just talking.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It lists for $199 at Home Depot (not 239 like CPO claims).

I bought mine new last year on sale for $119 (I think it was but I am not sure and I cannot verify the price right now).

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

When I bought mine, it did list for $239. It was a different color than the orange. Maybe came from a different part of China.

It is not as good as some of the more expensive single purpose spindle sanders or belt sander, but for my needs, it does a good job at reasonable cost. I'd buy it again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bargain. If you can call a local HD and ask what the retail price is, do that before you jump in it.

I bought one of their (13"?) planers years ago for $199US and it is working for me still. no issues.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Thanks for the advice. HD wants $199 plus $17 shipping. They say they're marking it down from $249. With the difference in shipping, the original offer saves about $40. I think I'll go with that considering all the positive comments about reconditioned stuff.

to all.

Reply to
Kimosabe

---------------------------------- is a good online comparison site for tools.