Opinions, Please

What retail value would you estimate for this auction Lot?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hard to say without knowing quantities ... but that looks like a hell of a lot of drawer guides and a lot of poundage of screws. Retail ... much more than the $250 current bid.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Agreed, I see a lot of things that drive the cost up. The screws, the knife blocks, the lifts. Never mind the blums.

There might be $1000, might be $2000 in there. Hard to tell. That's a nice lot.

Reply to
woodchucker

The box of fluorescent ballasts, I'd wager, is worth more than the $250 on the table.

Gotta be careful with the Quick Screws though. If Slick Willie Clinton hears about them, he'll be all over them!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Screw the Blums, there were some Accurides in there. Not mentioned but visible and clearly marked in one of the photos.

This is the kind of thing my former boss would see and then get caught up in the bidding and pay about a hundred bucks more than retail for.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I suspect the bidding will reach $500, maybe, before the sale ends.

I'm considering two otions:

1) Bid on it. Should I win the bid, I have relatives, in that area, that could pick up the items, for me.... they are coming down, the week following the sale, for a family reunion. 2) Contact Morgans (Jim, near/in High Point, NC), a poster, here. I recall he once *commented, here, about his "cluttered shop". He might be interested in this Lot. I wouldn't want to wait until the last minute to contact Jim. The sale ends tomorrow. *Took me about 10 minutes to find his posting, on 7-3-14:

"Swingman" wrote

full of parts and tools of every description. Then there are the number 10 cans full of nails and screws and such. Plus I made some bigger boxes for bigger tools. Then there are the shelves equal to more than 200 square feet.

years, and keep buying duplicate stuff because you can't find what you know you have somewhere, then you organize and clean it all up. Plus the fact that my dad (engineer) had a pretty complete wood and metal shop when he passed, and his dad was a machinist by trade. I got three generations of stuff. I have a tap holder that is home-made, and grandpa stamped his name on it and the year he made it, which was 1911. It's the best tap holder I have.

to not get in too much of a hurry, if you know what I mean!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Check that. The sale ends today!

.... Kinna lost track of time, lately. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Unless you intend to resell some of it, it's worth remembering that any of the stuff you don't end up using was worth $0.00. Bid at an amount that represents a good deal on only the stuff you will definitely use.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

If you've lost track of time, how do you know it happened lately? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wait a minute, you've have completed disregarded the true definition of a bargain:

"The offer of something that one doesn't use at a price he cannot resist."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's not uncommon for me to give away excess stuff, but I could probably find a use for quite a bit of the items.

I decided not to bid on the Lot. I sent Jim an email and link.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

LOL. Typo? I lost track of days. I was thinking (this morning) that today was the 14th.

I more often loose track for my nap times.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

My Dad was always frugal, but also generous. He'd find a "steal" somewhere; something sold at perhaps 25% of the original price. But then he'd buy eight of them. We'd keep one; the other seven would go to friends and neighbors, netting him the item at only 200% of the original cost.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

As Jackie Mason has been known to exclaim:

"Such a deal!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I bet friends and neighbors loved him though. Worth the price of admission.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, somebody got themselves a deal. It appears the lot went for $425 plus the 10% premium. Let's call it $475 and shipping/or pickup.

From what I saw in a brief glance it was a helluva deal for somebody even if they can only use some of it.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

and one hopes, goodwill

Reply to
Contrarian

Exactly so.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Yes indeed. That puts me in mind of another story:

My Dad used to bake bread at irregular intervals. He did it the way his mother had: without a mixing bowl. We got flour in 50 and 100 lb. sacks courtesy of an uncle in the food business. My Dad would pour out a small mountain of flour on the formica countertop and hollow out a recess in the center, forming a volcano shape. Into the middle would go the water, yeast etc. He'd then slowly mix the flour into the center, scooping in handfuls from the side of the volcano, until it was all mixed.

Needless to say, no measurements were involved. But he knew the consistency he was looking for. As he went along he'd decide it was a little too wet, and add flour. Then perhaps a little too dry, and add water. Sometimes he did this repeatedly. The intended amount of dough, already "calculated" to be in excess of what was needed, would grow; sometimes a good bit.

On one particular occasion he must have miscalculated more than usual. I remember that batch yielding 48 separate items. Many of those were full-size loaves; some were midway between small loaves of bread and overlarge dinner rolls. The oven was going well into the night.

The neighbors ate well those next few days. :)

Reply to
Greg Guarino