What would you put down this driveway

What would be a cheap and interesting layer of something to paint over this driveway of red tiles that is disintegrating due to water seeping into the tiles and splitting them open when it freezes?

suppose an ordinary cement type mixture would be cheapest, but to our minds would not look that good. If I used cement what would be the minimum thickness i could use and still park vehicles on it?

The drive is very solid and I dont want to be digging anything up. I have seen some kind of 'ground-up' rubber (probably ground-up car tyres) in childrens playground around the swings etc. Would that be easy to put down or stand up to cars driving over it, or be waterproof enough? Also there are some resin finishes but I guess they would be difficult to put down and probably expensive?

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

john hamilton

pebbles, ground rubber, slate etc will all move and show the red tiles through. Any kind of paint will last about a fortnight if you're lucky. Unless you pave over it., you're stuck with it, and the minimum depth of cement you could get away with would be about 100mm

Reply to
Phil L

actually red milliput - sort of pigment loaded epoxy - might be able to repair this.

Otherwise I'm with phil, put up with it or rip up and start again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

or pave over it with something better (like Phil says too)

cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

conventional block paving. It's used at the local race course (Dunstall Park, Wolverhampton) for the approach to the parade ring and a few other areas. Despite its appearance it's a rubber product of some kind which must be fairly durable to take the wear and tear associated with horse shoes. It appears to be a permanently fixed rubber matting which might suit your purpose if you can find a source and if it's not too costly.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

worse, and it would surely look poor. Why not just replace the few worst affected pieces.

NT

Reply to
NT

OP says the base is firm, strip off the tiles and a thick skim (25mm or so) of a strong concrete mix I'd expect to be OK. Suitably shuttered and tamped down not hand applied and smoothed. Tamp board marks being left to provide a grippy surface.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice