Opinions on this old bandsaw

Woodworker's 15" BandSaw - $75

'n I don't have a bandsaw (yet), do you think it would be worth it to take a look at this one? What should I look for in something that is this old? By the picture, it looks in good shape. The price is certainly right!

Thanks. busbus

Reply to
busbus

marc rosen

Probably a better chassis than those made today. I'd take a chance on it. Keep your fingers out of the wheels though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A good price, but there may be things that need repair/replacement. Tuning up a bandsaw can be very frustrating, time-consuming, sometimes costly.

Reply to
Phisherman

Geeze, its an antique for $75! have the thing bronzed and put it in the living room if it ddoesn't saw as you need!

My Grandfather was often quoted "'tis a pur workman what blames 'is tool."

That thing looks heavy enough to cut brimstone. Blades are going to be a bit expensive, but for most jobs you'll not need a full revolution to cut the stock, right?

If I was a Pittsburger, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

You could threaten to put your kid's fingers in the wheels when they were bad

The thing looks to be wood working art!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I spend a good bit of my free time researching, reading and dreaming about what machines will occupy DreamShop and used equipment will definitely play a very large role. That said, I'm almost positive that I'll buy a new or very late model, top quality bandsaw. I very much agree with Phisherman about how frustrating, time-consuming and costly a not-so-perfect bandsaw can be. Especially if you're planning on doing any resawing on it. IMO the bandsaw is the most difficult to tune machine in the shop.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

So, is that a no?

From here, none of us can tell if it is a nightmare or the sweetest cutting saw in the state.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd want to see how much vibration there was.

Dust collection looks to be a challenge. You can hang a hose under the table, but anything that gets by it is going to go everywhere.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Naw. Just what I was thinking when I typed it.

You're right. Which is why I'm not recommending a saw I know nothing about to a poster who may not be at all familiar with bandsaws and their potential issues, much less how to identify and fix them - if he even has the time or desire to do so.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Because most decent blade manufacturers make custom sized blades for the same per inch price that regular blades are sold for the blades should not be expensive at all.

Reply to
Leon

Put the saw near the door and you between a big fan and the saw.

Reply to
Leon

The reaon I even wanted to think about this saw is because the dang- gone thing looks very much like a very, very olfd saw my father had whilst I was growing up, except it was a huge thing, at least 20" or more--it came out of some old lumber mill near our house. Each wheel came up to the throat of a certain eight-year-old boy. The frame looks strikingly similar and the entire design just reminds me of it. It is long gone now and maybe it's in my mind but I remember that thing cutting so sweet. It was the first big tool he ever let me use and was the one I used the most growing up.

I was a-feared about some of the tings being said: can't find parts, it may not track right, vibration issues....I was using my heart instead of my head. But, gosh durn it, like somebody said: it would look good in the famill room and could be one heck of a good attitude adjuster....

busbus

Reply to
busbus