Opinions On Routers

Page 1 of 2
Guys:
Having hung around in the shadows for a long time here, I'm fully aware how reticent everyone is to express an opinion... but - maybe we can stretch ourselves a bit...
I've decided to dump my POS Craftsman 1/4in router in favor of a 1/2in unit. Stopped by the borg last night and looked at what they have and was somewhat disappointed in the selection but I did look at the PC they carry. Actually, they carry two PC models locally (can't remember the model numbers) but one is a single speed and the other is two speed - likely the one I would purchase.
Some general questions for the group -
1) Anyone have any comparison between the PC models and the Makita? The Makita they sell at the borg comes with 3 bases - standard, D-handle, and plunger. It is also a 2HP motor while the PC is a 1 3/4 HP motor, however the RPM rating is lower than the PC. Thoughts on these two ratings?
2) Is anyone out there familiar enough with the PC line to offer suggestions or comments about the models the borg sells versus the full product line?
3) Any other opinions or comments about routers in general? I will be going with a 1/2in router this time, so that one is a given. Otherwise, I'm curious what others might have to say.
Thanks,
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

M.Paul wrote:

Pretty much what I was thinking would be the case. Tell me why you're set on the 895PK, if you don't mind.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Don't know if you might be interested or not.....
My local Lowes has the double-base kit Porter Cable router on clearance. It's normally priced at $200. Now on sale at $105.
In my opinion, that is a terriffic deal -- If I didn't already have a 1/2 inch collet router, I would go for that in a heartbeat.
As for the quality of PC routers, it is generally agreed as very good to excellent. For decades, PC set the standards for routers. To get anything significantly better, you'll be into some SERIUOUS bucks.
My big router is the M12V (Hitachi). It's big and heavy, and has lots of power. It's a plunge-only router. The plunge mechanism sometimes (not always) sticks just a little. Other than that, it is also a good router.
But that PC double base kit is a great deal. Check with your local Lowes.
(I am not affiliated with any of the companies whose names I've mentioned, and have no relationship with them.)

Actually Amazon is doing to $25 off on $199 purchase until end of Feb. and shipping is "free".
Sweet.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
Start here: http://www.portercable.com /
and stop here:
http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?eT7&p (10
Once you have acquired at least one of each model group, you can start thinking about how many you need.
Don't forget to get a laminate trimmer also.
Thank God you came to your senses.
Mike Marlow wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

I have a PC 7529 and a DeWalt 621. Both are good units, but I prefer the 621.
- I find it easier to change bits. - The depth control of the 621 is easier for me to use. - The dust collection connector is at the top on the 621 but on the base of the 7529. Both do a great job of dust collection, but the 621 does a better job of keeping the #$%$# hose out of the way. With the 7529 I nearly always have to hang the shop vac hose from the ceiling to keep it out of the way; with the 621 I can skip that step.
HTH.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

The 621 also plunges straighter. Both lock on just one of the two plunge tubes, so if you push on the unlocked side handle when the other side is locked it moves slightly and the bit is tilted out of square. It's not a big deal in use if you're careful to plunge straight down and not press down on the handles after they're locked.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Well, I had to pick one of the replies to my post to serve as my reply-to reply, so Mark, you win. Only because you posted about the DeWalt routers, so don't get a big head on us.
My thanks though to everyone who took the time to reply. Like all good boys with a little cash immediately available I had set to work cruising the net even as I was posting my initial post. Looked at all of the PC stuff, looked at my favorite color - red (really disappointed in their router selection and outfitting options), and then went and looked at what is rapidly becoming the predominant color in my shop - yellow and black. Settled on the DeWalt 618B3 which is a 2HP kit complete with all three bases and a case. The price was very tolerable all told - came to $254.99 on Amazon. I hold PC in very high regard but I was a bit concerned for the reviews I'd read on the bases and on the plunge mechanisms. I guess for now my belt sander will be alone in the shop as the only grey and black tool. Not to worry both my red tools and my yellow and black tools are very accomodating of the grey and black colors. I train them up to be that way.
Thanks again for everyone's input.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Mike Marlow wrote:

Congrats! Be sure to post how you like it when you've made some sawdust.
-- Mark
Even now my woodworking skills are poor at best...
But when I first started a few years back, people I admired told me that the router was the most versatile and perhaps the most used tool in the shop.
With that information, I figured I'd buy the biggest and the baddest mother I could find - A Bosch 1619. This was before my introduction to the router table, and I did all my routing by hand.
Gah! HPs, AMPs, RPMs are all important, but I implore you to examine LBS!
-jbd

FYI, I just published a review for the DeWALT 618 that you might be interested in. You can read the review at http://thewoodshop.20m.com/dewalt618.htm .
Regards, Jack http://thewoodshop.20m.com
Jack Loganbill wrote:

Excellent review. I knew I was making the right decision when I selected this router. My compliments to you Jack - very well written review, balanced, articulate, and of course - it contained all the things a fellow who has just bought one would want to read.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Mike Marlow wrote:

I just bought a new router. Funny how I didn't know what I would be happy with till after I buy something else.
I bought the Milwaukee single speed 1-1/2 horse router and was happy enough till reading the tool snots on this group.
I was looking at the PC and while the two bases were a plus , as was the vacuum attachment, I couldn't get over $40 more for a tool that didn't strike me as being of as high quality as the Milwaukee (I felt the same while shopping for a circular saw).
If I could do it again I would buy the 1-3/4 horse Milwaukee variable speed. It's small enough to be handy but large enough to do some serious routing.
Since I would be shopping at the Milwaukee service center I would probably try talking myself into a router larger than the 1-3/4, then see if they could match the on-line price.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

Ha! I wasn't going to let those tool snots get one up on me!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Nuttin' wrong with that machine. I always forget Milwaukee for some reason, but they do make some fine tools.
Barry
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:18:41 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

Both are very nice tools, you probably won't go wrong with either. Pick them both up and see how the controls on each router feel in YOUR hands.

They are the same PC routers sold elsewhere. Without a model number, it's had to make specific comments. Chances are it's the 690 or 890 series, which are fine, well-respected tools

For general, all around "main router" use, I don't think you'll go wrong with Porter Cable, Bosch, DeWalt, or Makita, as long as you make apples to apples comparisons. Don't get worried about a 1 3/4 HP vs a 2 HP or 2 1/4 HP motor, they operate the same. For example, most of them offer kits consisting of a 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hp motor and several bases. They're all good. <G> Feel them all and pick one.
Sorry I couldn't give you a "this one's better" recommendation. <G> I have two different Bosch routers and love them, but would feel comfortable buying DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, routers in that price / feature set range as well. Competition has made them very similar in features and quality at each price point.
Barry
Some idea of what to expect from PC 890 at the http://www.patwarner.com/pc890.html link. ********************************************************

I don't know what type of router work you are planning on, but if you ever think you will be using it for raised panel doors, I would suggest a ~3HP model. My wife bought me a 3hp Makita plunge router for christmas (does EVERYONE start with a 1/4" POS Craftsman router?). It was fairly inexpensive since it isn't variable speed. Although I mainly use it in my router table, it is easy to handle and does an excellent job with 3" raised panel bits even in hickory. I did have to buy a $25 motor control to slow the router down with the big bits. I have since bought a PC 1.5hp router so I don't have to pull the big one out of the table, but I can honestly say that I like the Makita better for general use.
The good news is that ANYTHING is better than that old craftsman so you can't *really* go wrong ;) Jim

Jim wrote:

I appreciate that thought Jim, but... day late dollar short. I posted a followup yesterday that you may not have seen which told that I purchased the DeWalt 618B from Amazon. It's a 2 1/4 HP unit but I anticipate it should handle raised panels well enough - at least well enough for the number of them that I do from time to time. Certainly better than its predicessor. Likely not as well as a bigger unit, but if I ever get into a place where I'm running more of them and things are too slow, I'll get a shaper or a second and more powerful router as a more special purpose tool.

Wow - cool wife.

Sure seems so, doesn't it?

I can see myself being here at some point. Giving up the rat race and spending more time out in the shop is becoming a more frequent consideration these days...

Funny how that goes isn't it? For years my POS seemed just fine. It routed. It got a little fancy from time to time and performed its auto-adjust trick, and I ruined more than one piece of wood with it, but somehow I tolerated that and pressed on. That's what makes finally replacing a junk tool with a good one so neat - it's like a new world opens up in front of you. Simple minds, simple pleasures, huh? Amazon just informed me that they shipped my new router yesterday so I should have it mid week next week - maybe. Guess what I'll be doing next week... maybe.