Opinions on Grizzly 8" Jointer

Guys,

I've been using an Inca 8" jointer for 20 years. I'm now ready to move to a jointer with a longer bed, as the Inca's bed is only 36" long. I initially looked at the Powermatic 60B 8" jointer. During my investigation I came upon the Grizzly G0490. On Amazon.com I read a number of reviews, w/o much, if any, dissent.

Those of you that have taken the "Grizzly plunge," have you regretted it? Any experiences, positive or negative, that you care to share?

TIA,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Heyen

I have the G0500 8" and love it. Good solid machine and pretty much ready to go out of the box. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

two thoughts.

first is that the chinese have the jointer down pretty well. it's a simple machine from an old design that has been copied a gazillion times by everybody and his kid sister. the engineering is, hmmm.... mature. a griz jointer should be a perfectly fine piece of equipment.

second is that for the same or perhaps even a bit less money you can probably find an older american made jointer.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Two observations - one first hand, one second hand.

1) I have owned a Grizzly 1023S cabinet saw for about 6 years and love it. I am very happy with the machine and smaller Griz equipment I own.

2) My son-in-law owns several Grizzly floor tools including an 8" jointer, floor-stand drill press and one of their bigger surface planers (might be a G0453, but not sure.) He has had very good experiences with all. The 8" jointer is a long-bed and he has owned it about 3-4 years (not spiral cutters - G0500??). It is a first class machine and Fine Woodworking magazine rated it very well.

We both have had good luck with their delivery service. Have had no need for other follow up service.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I have an 8" Grizzly jointer, purchased just before the spiral carbide insert cutterheads became in vogue. I am happy with the beast, but I regret not having the carbide cutters because of the life of the cutters and the ease of changing them over.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Jeff,

I like mine. I have the original 8" 72" bed (G0500 I guess) with the

4 knives. No problem changing knives with the jointer pal.

Montyhp

Reply to
montyhp

I've had the G0586 for a couple years now. I decided to get the spiral cutter later if I wanted it. I've run a few project's worth through it but haven't sharpened the blades yet. Still cuts nice. I really like that 75 inch bed.

Had 1023 table saw for six or seven years. It's fine for a contractor saw. More and more I wish I could put in a cab saw but the griz is fine till I can do that. :-)

Reply to
else24

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. So far I like what I'm hearing.

Reply to
Jeff Heyen

Just to throw another bone out there, Grizzly and Jet both have combination jointer/planers available now. Do you need a planer?

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I am intrigued by both the Jet and Grizzly offerings. What concerns me is the "Shopsmith" phenomenon, i.e. having to switch back and forth. When I work rough wood I set up my jointer in one area of the garage, and then set up the planer to take work from the jointer. I'm leaning toward the Grizzly G0490 jointer, and then a separate planer. I currently have the original Ryobi planer, and while it has been a stalwart in my shop, it's starting to make "noise," such that it may be on its last leg.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Heyen

I bought the Grizzly G0490 and the G0453 planer and both work well. The only minor issue that I have and it pertains to both machines, is that in the manual, there are the sections that explain how to adjust the knives of cutterheads that are equipped with springs. No springs, they only come with the G0454 planer, but the manual that comes with the jointer states that springs come with it. The jointer I can do without the springs as I use a magnetic knife setter, but the planer is another matter. I was used to the Delta 12" planer that had the springs under the knives and that made it very easy to put the knife jig over the knives and with knives pushed up by springs tighten the gib bolts. Without the springs on the planer, I have to use a feeler gauge to determine if knives were barely touching the pad of the knife gauge. PITA. So I ordered the springs, which were out of stock, and 3 months later they arrived. So if you order the the jointer or planer and want to use springs to set the knives, order them with the machines.

Other then that, these are nice machines for the money. After my Delta 6" jointer with 3/4 hp moter and splayed legs and total weight of about 200lbs, with this jointer I can joint 6/4 wide and long stock with out moving the jointer all over the place.

Reply to
Frank Howell