Oops

I had a computer crash a couple of days ago and had to reinstall my news reader. I just noticed my previous 2 posts used "Occupant" instead of "Wood Butcher". Blame, curses, and invectives will be cheerfully received as usual.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Oddly, the same thing happened to us. In fact, I was beginning to think that an EMP had occurred. Our computer, satellite receiver, and TV all went into the dumper. Sigh. Maybe a wood burning TV is the answer. twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Sheesh! What a bozo! Glad I never make mistrakes like that.

:)

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Well, at least it makes those of us who are prefect look good. ;-)

Mark & Juanita

There ain't nothing like watching TV by candle light.

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Somewhere I learned that error checking or parity type memory is designed to protect against cosmic rays, way up in the EM spectrum, and rarely happens to anyone anywhere. How infrequently, from where these rays come from and what they're like and whether this is the primary design consideration for this hardware I don't know, but would like to.

Reply to
bent

Nope - error check in all of its forms (whether it's parity, ECC, CRC, checksum, etc) is all about checking for picked or dropped bits, regardless of the cause. Error checking really does not know about, care about outside causes, and was not created with any one cause in mind over any other.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

actually it was probably stated, wherever I read about it, that the only way it ever occurs was through the above, and therefore the hardware was basically not req'd

Reply to
bent

Whether it's "required" or not depends on how important it is that the machine remain up, and the data remain uncorrupted.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I know little about cosmic rays and the EM spectrum, but if this is all true, I'd have about as much chance of getting hit by a comet or asteroid. For what its worth my ram runs around PC4400, FSB1120, DDR560. Its gold platerd to protect it from alien intrusion.

Reply to
bent

and comets are at least home in our solar system, let alone our galaxy.

Reply to
bent

don't believe me, google "error checking parity cosmic rays"

Reply to
bent