On my project-speaking of code rules

I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif. The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower. Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to provide hot water to the shower. The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow hot water to the outdoor shower!" I could not believe it. What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby..... and only cold. I am really amazed at this ruling. Is there any sense out there? What if I call it a "Doggy Wash" john
"jloomis" wrote in message
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif. The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower. Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to provide hot water to the shower. The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow hot water to the outdoor shower!" I could not believe it. What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby..... and only cold. I am really amazed at this ruling. Is there any sense out there? What if I call it a "Doggy Wash" john
I built a outdoor shower when in WWll on Okinawa when in the Sea Bees. Had it hang over a cliff for drainage. Used a oil fired water heater so hot and cold water available. That made my fellow CB's happy. No code s to follow there. WW
On 10/22/2013 8:23 AM, jloomis wrote:

IME, it has to do with drainage. Most outdoor cold water showers drain in the flower bed, or on the ground somewhere. Add hot water and they want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be using it with something else than plain water during a shower.
IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line, you will probably have no problems with local code.
Be worth checking in any event.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:32:50 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Well, cold water does have a sort of "thermometer" effect.
We connected it to the septic. ??? john

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:23:07 AM UTC-5, jloomis wrote:

. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician install a c onduit for an instant hot water unit to provide hot water to the shower. Th e plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow ho t water to the outdoor shower!" I could not believe it. What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the tub no less)and n eeds a shower nearby..... and only cold. I am really amazed at this ruling. Is there any sense out there? What if I call it a "Doggy Wash" john
"Hot" is a relative term. Tell the plumber you're installing a tepid water supply, along with the not-so-tepid water supply.
Sonny
jloomis wrote:

can remember filling a wash tub and leaving it out in the sun all day for a warm evening bath. That was before we had electricity or running water on the farm.
--
 GW Ross

 Blessed are they that run around in

temperature is limited to the temp of the tub, no extra heater required. Deadnuts simple. You can connect it temporarily to your outside hose bib, so as far as code is concerned it doesn't exist. Code MAY require a backflow preventer/anti-siphon to make sure no water from the tub could get drawn into the water supply if the tempering tube leaked.
"WW" wrote in message
[...]
On 10/22/2013 9:23 AM, jloomis wrote:

Install the heater after the deck is inspected, assuming you have a permit and need inspection.
Shower does make sense though. The hot tub is for relaxing, not bathing. If you shower first, the tub water will stay cleaner longer with less chemicals.
That is our contention. I just cannot believe that the county local code would have such a ruling. What if a person were to hook up a hose to a water heater and wash a dam dog! jeeeedsh. john
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 10/22/2013 9:23 AM, jloomis wrote:

Install the heater after the deck is inspected, assuming you have a permit and need inspection.
Shower does make sense though. The hot tub is for relaxing, not bathing. If you shower first, the tub water will stay cleaner longer with less chemicals.
On 10/24/2013 8:03 AM, jloomis wrote:

"The general public had better start thinking long and hard about whether they want to live in a society that shares risks, or a society that attempts to eliminate all risks through the elimination of personal freedoms and individual discretion."
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Where's my Obamaphone?!

I am sure this is another global warming issue where we have no liberty and a gov't "over" the people not "of, for and by". As others posted, finish t he deck, close the permit, install whatever you want.
I my area, when I pulled a permit for extensive remodel, they made me put f luorescent only fixtures or a dimmer switches in all bedrooms . I put in th e fricking expensive dimmers. 2 of the 3 are already buzzing. I'll be pulli ng them now that I have my final. They told me after Jan 1 they will be req uire that for the whole house.

Jeff

I agree. I avoid permit application wherever possible. It just leads to expensive construction. I believe now, in new construction, fire sprinklers have to be in all rooms. I know, fire prevention is important. And, the cost of the fire sprinkler adds considerable cost to the new home. Now in a rural area, you have to provide water for the sprinklers........hummmmm-another storage tank no less. And, when the power goes.....hummm- a generator-...hummmm, and gasoline storage.....hummmm. it goes on and on. john
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I am sure this is another global warming issue where we have no liberty and a gov't "over" the people not "of, for and by". As others posted, finish the deck, close the permit, install whatever you want.
I my area, when I pulled a permit for extensive remodel, they made me put fluorescent only fixtures or a dimmer switches in all bedrooms . I put in the fricking expensive dimmers. 2 of the 3 are already buzzing. I'll be pulling them now that I have my final. They told me after Jan 1 they will be require that for the whole house.
On 10/22/2013 9:23 AM, jloomis wrote:

Just like our congress.
--
Jeff