Omni Dual Saw - Is it any good?

Page 2 of 2
On May 17, 6:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm glad to see that craftsman has something similar/more powerful, I'm just wondering DOES IT OVERHEAT EASILY as couple of the reviews of this product say it does, check it out: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00925574000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Power+Tools&keyword=twin+cutter
Add pictures here
✖
Check out the reviews section of the Sears 6.25" model:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925574000P?vName=Tools&keyword=saw#reviewsWrap
Seems they like to burn out.
On May 17, 4:48 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Had Billy offered a free Snuggie i would have raced for the phone to order. Guess i'll stick with using the circular, sawzall and Flowbee for all my cutting needs.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't see anything like this at Harbor Freight . . . part nos. or what do they call it?
Add pictures here
✖
Well, let's see
Three easy payments of $59.99 - comes to 3 cents shy of $180 so let's call it $180 even.
Then there's the $39.99 S&H which we'll round up to an even $40 to keep the math easier.
So the "In You Hands Price Tag is "only" $220.
You can get a pretty nice "regular" circular saw - that will produce nice finished cuts - or deal with 2x4s and 4x4s - for that kind of money - and a well known brand name - with an established reputation - for that kind of money.
Anyone here planning on using a hand held circular saw - which doesn't have a "table"/"foot" - but comes with an edge guide (?) - and "lubricating sticks" - to - cut through nails - or steel pipe?
And when you're trying to get someone to believe that the finish of its cut in wood is "craftsman like" - don't provide the close up of the cut - that looks far from "craftsman like".
I couldn't find any info on the blade diameter or the max thickness it can cut - something I WANT TO KNOW before I'd fork over $220.
I'm going to pass on this one - too much hype and not enough actual information.
Add pictures here
✖

I saw the infomercial very early on a Saturday morning but I was in a hurry and did not have the time to do research on it. You can say the hype in the informercial got me this time, but to be fair, I saw enough of its potential to order this dualsaw from twinstar for evaluation and had high hopes that it's worthy enough to keep.
I got it shipped to me 3 days ago and well the first impression is that it has too many plastic components and won't be too durable if it's used repetitively for big jobs. It's a tool that is probably useful in certain situations that call for its multi-purpose capability to quickly help you the task at hand without having to go rent or get the professional grade power tools. In addition, the dualsaw label is a cheap piece of sticker that will fall off. On the blades, I'm not too worry about its durability since the replacement for quality blades in general is expensive and well in the $50-$70 range, dualsaw priced their replacement blade is slightly below that so it shouldn't be too bad, it's the motor, the plastic housing and how well it can handle a minor drop to ground and etc.. Come to think of it, if this product is discontinued the replacment blades would also be discontinued .. which raises concern.
It's too bad I don't have the time to just go out and find all sort of different materials to try this saw out. I'm more practical and was hopeful that when I get the saw that there is a big contracting project that my guys can actually test out its usefulness but we don't have project to work on so due to the current economic situation.
To conclude, I'm wary enough to start searching for reviews of this product online. So far no blogs or critics sites are raving about it and to be fair there were also no real evidence of bad experiences ... it's a fairly new product so there isn't much reliability testimonies nor complaints. Again my only impression on it is that it's not built to last or continuous heavy duty use.
I would give it some time if I were you before buying it even with the money back guarantee promises to save yourself some time. I'm returning my this coming Monday. If things doesn't go smoothly as they have advertise wrt their return policy, I will try to go back here and tell you all about it.
-- Minh p.s. so that you know this is from a somewhat trustworthy source, I'm a co-owner of 3M CONSTRUCTION LLC, a general contractor business in Portland Oregon. Sorry if this is not informative enough.
Add pictures here
✖