Old saw blade question

Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions? Thanks in advance
"Thos" wrote:

Make them a GoodWill donation.
Lew

Or a Good Thos donation
On 10/14/2010 3:47 PM, Thos wrote:

I don't know if they had carbide-tipped blades 50 years ago. If they did, send them to Forrest for sharpening. They'll repair any damaged teeth and they'll cut like new.

Having 20-30 of them to resharpen and flatten, that would probably be much more expensive than simply buying a single WWII to replace all of them.
They might be MoMetal moly steel or cobalt steel - M42 or such.
Those were popular 50 years ago in cutting hard or strong stuff.
I'd try out the old blades and see what they can do.
Might be good secondary or primary blades.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 10/14/2010 3:18 PM, Woody wrote:

Thos wrote:

Well, if you use the saw, they'll still fit... :)
What are you going to use instead?

No, they are no good any more do you want my address so you can send them to me and I will dispose of them for you?
Thos wrote:

    mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Or try your hand at knife making. Old saw blade provide decent blade stock. See:
http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?tG259
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Older ones were more likely plain carbon, which is excellent knifemaking stock. 1/8" sawplates are perfect for making into wooden plane irons, shop knives, etc.

Older ones were more likely plain carbon, which is excellent knifemaking stock. 1/8" sawplates are perfect for making into wooden plane irons, shop knives, etc.
See this site for a great pattern for saw blade knives: http://www.ulu.com/

I had always heard of folks doing that and even seen the final product. But I have never seen a "work in progress" slideshow until now.
Thanks!
Robert

flea markets.

You could get some clock works for them and make saw blade clocks for whomever as gifts.
Many thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I'm liking the idea of using some for knife stock. Hadn't thought about making a plane iron, which is interesting. The clock idea has some merit. I'm not much of an artist, so painting scenes on them probably isn't my best option. I think I'm gonna try and make a knife and see how that goes. I'll keep everyone updated. Again, thanks for all the replies.
wrote:

You could get some clock works for them and make saw blade clocks for whomever as gifts.

Auction off the lot on E-Bay,
-Zz

Sell 'em on eBay and make your fortune, duuuuude! Naive yuppies abound there and are willing to pay good money for something they can use to make a clock or wall painting.
<thud>
-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!