Old sander broke. What do I want?

Page 4 of 4

That is entirely correct! Although you can enter there after you buy a sander to buy sand paper. ;~)
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:21:45 -0400, Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Can you buy a Milwauke for < $100?

There's a 5" one that comes in between $70 and $80. There's a Bosch that comes in at around $60.
Ed
I've looked at most messages in this thread and I am not sure why no one has mentioned the samll Bosch palm sander. You tear a regular sheet of sandpaper in fourths, the grippers on the Bosch hold it very tight and it is very easy to load. Use the provided punch to make holes in the paper after it is on the sander, attach it to a vac and you're in business. I use this for most all sanding and it works great. Russ

True, but the sander that broke was a palm sander that the OP said was adequate for his use.

I have one of these: 1297DK Bosch. Just love it.
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:31:42 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Getting here late on this one but my 2 cents.....
Have used over the past 8 years Porter Cables, Bosch, Dewalt, (and seen them all die), now I have a Milwaukee. They were all fine when new, but not one (with the possible exception of the Dewalt) more than a year or so before developing problems. The Milwaukee is very nice! Better, in my opinion, than any of the others were when new. For about $80 it's where you should start looking. No doubt you can get a better sander (Festool ?) but for lots more $$$$. Oh, and Milwaukee's tools have a 5 years warranty.
Lenny
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:32:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I am considering a Milwaukee, althought the PC I saw has more power, if I remember correctly. I'm getting the impression that a sander has an inherently violent mode of operation and can't be expected to last forever. With any luck what might last you a year will last me ten.
Thanks again to all for more advice than I could have dreamt of. I even read with interest the comments on things that that are over my budget, above my volume of use and beyond my skill level. I probably won't be buying that large compressor for awhile though.
Greg Guarino