OLD Ryobi AP 125 12.5" Stationary Planer

Hello Group: I just picked up a old Ryobi AP125 stationary planer for a song. Actually in pretty good shape. Made in Japan and very similar to the Makita 2040 except it is 12.5". VERY heavy duty with four columns; cast iron table; probably weights at least 300 pounds.
Anyone perchance have this planer? I need the owners manual or something to help me with the proper setting of the knives and the feed rollers. I did call Ryobi USA and no one seemed to have a clue that Ryobi Japan even made such a stationary planer. Tool Parts Direct has some parts but not the knife setting gauge or the manaul. Thanks!! snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:08:19 -0800, stevek433 wrote:

Didn't find anything about a manual, but the following link has a parts list.
http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/ryobi_tool/AP125.pdf
Paul T.

Thanks Paul.. I already have the parts list from Tool Parts Direct. The good thing is there seem to be no parts missing, but the planer is BADLY out of tune and needs all the adjustments. Guess it will be trial and error time,,,
Didn't know about the 125. Do you know how old it is?
Ryobi made a couple of darned good planers during the early to mid 1990's The AP-10 is close to legendary for being one of the first really portable planers that worked well. The AP-12 is a 12-5/16" machine that is built like a fire plug and very reliable. I have owned an AP-12 for about 12-15 years and quite frankly I have abused it during the past year or so by running some very heave 8/4 timber through it . I eventually cracked the motor/gearbox housing but a good buttering with JB Weld pulled it back together.
I am not surprised that Ryobi doesn't know about it. They seem to forget about a lot of their equipment and their owners after a few years. When I bought my AP-12 the knives were around $15/set until they discontinued them. Then the aftermarket versions were selling in the $60-$80 range. If I were you I would start checking out knife availability now. Mine is old enough that the high-priced knives were probably going to require me to replace the machine. 5-6 sets would come close to buying a newer one.
BUT - The Delta 22-562 knives that fit the Delta 12-1/2" machine work fine in the AP-12. They have an extra index hole in the center (the AP-12 doesn't have a matching pin). I got the Delta recommendation from this group 6-8 years ago. If your machine is 90's vintage and has the quick-index knives you might get lucky.
RonB

I had one running almost daily to make edging for countertops. Wonderful little machine. A true break-through.
On Mar 10, 1:08am, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Try here. http://www.owwm.com/ I'll bet someone over there can hook you right up.
RP