Old hardwood filing cabinet to renovate

I acquired an old 4-drawer hardwood filing cabinet which could use a facelift, as I'm thinking of using it in my living room.I guess it was made in 1950s. Nice brass fittings. Could be oak, although the wood does look a bit more orangey than typical oak. I saw one of these things in an antique makll in California for $400. So I was delighted when I was offered this one free from a relative here in England.

The woodwork is rather attractive, so I'd like to bring out the beauty of it as much as possible. I'm really not sure what sort of finish it has had. Should I sand the whole thing down to bare wood and refinish? Or should I use a less drastic approach?

Anyone got any tips on renovating the piece? (materials, techniques?)

Thank you,

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Jake asks:

Use some alcohol to see if the finish dissolves. If so, it's shellac which might account for the orange look.

Clean it first. Remove the hardware and clean well to see what really needs doing.

If it's shellacked, cleaning is a start. You may then only need to recoat to restore it.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Wilson, Thanks for the tip. Any particular type of paint thinner?

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Charlie, I'll try to obtain some alcohol. Thanks.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

has a forum dedicated to this. Might have something thought provoking.

Reply to
Bob Bowles